What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy questions

rv72004

Well Known Member
Yip cracked canopy. RV8
I have a few questions,
- is the Todds canopy a different shape ?
- what is the price of Vans v Todds
Thanks

cracked canopy?

Just how bad and where is it?
I was overly enthusiastic when I cut mine (no lame excuses, I just screwed up). I was given a canopy with a 2" crack on the rh fwd corner, bought some filler rod and some glue and repaired. Spent 50 bucks instead of $1100.
It's not "too" noticable but then again I will always know right where it is.
If it's not too bad I'm more than happy to share the repair info with you.
luck on ya
danny

Canopy

I have a Todd's and my 8 next to the other 8s with a vans you can see the shape difference. Todd's in the front has a longer angel. In my group we just had one crack sitting in a climate controlled hanger :confused: So far so good for me I was the first in my group to glue mine on. as they crack the replacement install has been glue

Just how bad and where is it?
I was overly enthusiastic when I cut mine (no lame excuses, I just screwed up). I was given a canopy with a 2" crack on the rh fwd corner, bought some filler rod and some glue and repaired. Spent 50 bucks instead of $1100.
It's not "too" noticable but then again I will always know right where it is.
If it's not too bad I'm more than happy to share the repair info with you.
luck on ya
danny

It's cracked about 10 inches vertical on LHS 2/3 to the rear. Seems to be the common cracking area. Is the Vans 1100 ? I emailed them but no reply yet. I found canopy skirts on the vans parts list at 260 per side.

So $1600 plus for parts and some labour time. Ok, make that plenty labour time.

ouch!!

I have a -9 and, yup, it's $1100 for my canopy. I was hoping it would be a smaller crack. I know I wouldn't have the nerve to try anything other than a gitter home fix on one that long.
That said....you can use Weld-On 3 to wick into the crack and stop-drill (I did in 2 places). Then fill the holes with clear acrylic rod glued in with Weld-On 4. The whole thing cleans up with a micro-mesh kit. It's still visible but very strong. There's even a video on the EAA homebuilders website that pretty much does the same repair.
luck on ya
danny

Last edited:
Yip cracked canopy. RV8
I have a few questions,
- is the Todds canopy a different shape ?
- what is the price of Vans v Todds
Thanks

Todd's shape is slightly different. FYI, the original Vans supplied canopy is blown from a flat piece of 3/16" plexi. That means that it is slightly less than .100" thick at the top/center. You can order a canopy from Todd made from 3/16", 7/32" or 1/4" plexi, if you want a thicker canopy. FYI, the 1/4" canopy is about 5 pounds heavier. Not sure what Todd currently charges for his canopies, but I'll bet it's about half [or less] than the quoted $1100.
Todd also trims his canopies much closer, so you will have less work trimming it.
Charlie
PS You can contact Todd via email or phone

Email:[email protected] Phone # : 954-579-0874

Back