- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimd View Post
Vernon,

I may have misread, did you put the manufactured or shop head next to the steel block? I think I am going to mill a block like you showed and try that.

I put the non moving end of the squeezer, fitted with the largest diameter flat set I had on the manufactured head and I put the manufactured head on the top skin for aesthetic reasons. The plate was held under the TE and addressed by the moving plunger.

Questions - did you start with 1/2" thick steel plate? Does that leave enough room for the two skins, wedge and block for the squeezer?

My squeezer has two push rods of different lengths so I can make it work with anything I can get between the jaws. Cleveland sells flat sets in .063 height increments plus an AN 960-10 washer (3/16 to revert to common folk descriptions) can be had in .031 or .063 thickness. These combinations give you endless combinations to work with.

Any issues of the angle block trying to "squirt" off the trailing edge when you start to set the rivet?

None, that was the reason to make the block in the first place.

Did the block need to be as long along the edge as it appears in the photo or would a short section work as well? Something less than the rivet spacing is what I'm thinking.

My block is 4" long and that's adequate. You want a fairly long block so every squeeze keeps the TE dead straight.Just be sure to chamfer all the edges so you don't make any visible impressions in the T4 aluminum. It's a lot softer than the 1030 block.

Did you have the block fastened to the bench as well as tme elevator?

No No, with the elevator (or rudder or wing) clamped to the table you want the entire squeezing mechanism to float and find it's best alignment. That's what the entire cleko/match drill then rivet process is all about. Everything in front of the TE is solidly riveted (hopefully) so you want to recognize that integrity and work with it.

Thanks for the info and the pictures!

Jim
I hope this works, the forum does not seem to like inserting information in existing text strings. We will see what we get