What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR-Capable Required Backup Equipment with Dynon Skyview Classic

Greetings,

I am in the process of making my RV6A IFR-capable and have questions on the backup equipment required with the following configuration:

-Single Skyview Classic (HSI integrates with Garmin 430W)
-Garmin 430W
-Garmin 340 audio panel
-GTR 200 Comm
-Garmin 330ES transponder
-Heated Pitot

What backup equipment (attitude indicator, altimeter, airspeed ind, another EFIS, etc), if any, are required for IFR operation?

If required, what’s the most economical solution (equipment name and model) to meet the requirement?

Last edited:
Back ups Not Required

You are not Required to have any back up instruments. As long as you meet the minimum requirements, as described in the EAA article linked above you are legal to fly in the IFR system.

That being said it would be prudent for safe flight in IMC to have backups. That could be as minimal as a back up hand held com and an Ipad to a fully redundant system.

Backup system for IFR

A Garmin G5 has all the info of a six pack. It has a 4 hr battery backup and it’s own ADHRS which an AFS-5600 can use if the primary ADHRS craps out. Not sure if Dynon is able to accept ADHRS from the G5. The G5 experimental is only $1300. I believe the Dynon D10A has the info as the G5 but not sure

Last edited:
I put a G5 in my panel for a completely independent backup. Since you're running a 430W as well, you can add a GAD-29 and even fly an approach through the G5.

Correct me if I am wrong but an experimental does not need "back up" but of course as others suggested a G5 or D10 would be a great [ safe ] idea with totally independent power source. As far as back up NAV.... that is up to you. Does your back up NAV have to be TSO'ed? In an emergency you can do what you need and ATC can talk you down...

I must be getting old. I thought that to fly instrument approaches you needed two separate certified navigation devices capable of flying approaches? That's why so many people installed an SL-30 as the cheapest path to their "secondary nav/comm."

The way I'm reading this, a single Dynon Skyview plus Garmin 635 plus suitable transponder would make me "legal for IFR?"

I must be getting old. I thought that to fly instrument approaches you needed two separate certified navigation devices capable of flying approaches? That's why so many people installed an SL-30 as the cheapest path to their "secondary nav/comm."

The way I'm reading this, a single Dynon Skyview plus Garmin 635 plus suitable transponder would make me "legal for IFR?"

http://www.faraim.org/aim/aim-4-03-14-53.html

https://www8.garmin.com/specs/gns430.pdf

The 430 is certified under tso129, which the aim says requires a certified backup nav source. The 430 is also a certified VOR and NDB receiver, which is why garmin calls it a gns and not a gps (it's a GPS/nav/com) in one. So you're covered in case it can't find enough satelites. Only air carriers and operations for hire require an independent backup nav solution. Individuals are allowed all in one boxes. That being said, it's probably a good idea to have a separate backup because it's still one box that could have a power issue and take out you're entire nav solution, but that's you're choice abut how redundant you want to be.

IMO a lot of people confuse "legal", "safe", and "practical"--they aren't synonyms. Although subject to exact OPLIM wording, the standard is usually somewhere along the lines of "operate IFR if equipped IAW 91.205." That plus have the nav equipment necessary for the route to be flown and a current 91.411 test (static system) makes you "legal". So a simple 6-pack and a single NAV/COM radio with a CDI is technically all that's needed to fly IFR.

Although "legal" that minimal equipment is not really "practical" in today's airspace. That's where having a transponder (not actually legally required for IFR), ADS-B out, an IFR GPS, a 2nd radio, etc makes it more practical because assuming you know how to use the equipment, it reduces risk and gives you options.

"Safe" is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the camp of more is better (2 radios, IFR GPS, Auto pilot, etc) but I'm also willing to accept risk (eg single-engine IFR). YMMV...?.

That being said, it's probably a good idea to have a separate backup because it's still one box that could have a power issue and take out you're entire nav solution, but that's you're choice abut how redundant you want to be.

I believe the 430 series has multiple power inputs for separate use of the GPS and NAV sides of the unit independently just for this reason. Now, if you tie all those power inputs to just ONE switch or breaker or supply wire, then yes you have effectively put all your eggs in one basket.

+1 on Todd?s post.
When gps came out, the faa started writing more rules. 1. The gps needs to be approved, which, so far, means TSO?d. 2. Non-WAAS gps with a TSO129 approval were required to have a non-gps back up on board and useable. WAAS gps with TSO 144/145 do not need a back up. 3. Canada has different rules.

IMO a lot of people confuse "legal", "safe", and "practical"--they aren't synonyms. Although subject to exact OPLIM wording, the standard is usually somewhere along the lines of "operate IFR if equipped IAW 91.205." That plus have the nav equipment necessary for the route to be flown and a current 91.411 test (static system) makes you "legal". So a simple 6-pack and a single NAV/COM radio with a CDI is technically all that's needed to fly IFR.

Although "legal" that minimal equipment is not really "practical" in today's airspace. That's where having a transponder (not actually legally required for IFR), ADS-B out, an IFR GPS, a 2nd radio, etc makes it more practical because assuming you know how to use the equipment, it reduces risk and gives you options.

"Safe" is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the camp of more is better (2 radios, IFR GPS, Auto pilot, etc) but I'm also willing to accept risk (eg single-engine IFR). YMMV...?.

Note carefully the language of the reference. FAR 91.205 only applies to airplanes certificated in the STANDARD CATAGORY. Your RV is in the experimental category. This is important to remember in case someone ever challenges you on the legality of how you decide to operate your airplane. Limitations your RV is certified with could make a big difference, so make sure you know what they are in regards to all of this. As stated already though, legal doesn't mean necessarily safe or smart.
Safe flying!

Note carefully the language of the reference. FAR 91.205 only applies to airplanes certificated in the STANDARD CATAGORY. Your RV is in the experimental category. This is important to remember in case someone ever challenges you on the legality of how you decide to operate your airplane. Limitations your RV is certified with could make a big difference, so make sure you know what they are in regards to all of this. As stated already though, legal doesn't mean necessarily safe or smart.
Safe flying!

Above is true. It is also true that the FARs restrict EAB aircraft to day, vfr. And it is true that the usual op limits given out contain a waiver, allowing ifr if you equip per far 91.205, and similarly for night flying. So in a practical sense 91.205 does apply, for EAB airplanes with ?standard? op limits.

Back