- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Default RV-10 and an SMA 305 Diesel engine

I was wondering if anyone had looked into putting an SMA 305 out front of an RV10. Seems to me if the cost were right that you are getting a pretty comparable power source at lower RPM, better performance at altitude, similar weight to the IO-540 from Lycoming and fewer moving parts. Considering the ultimate plite of 100LL I would suspect that this might be a good direction to go. Given that Cessna and Maule have looked into and certified it in the 182 and M-9(not sure about cert yet for the M-9). Both of which could use the IO-540 I would suspect that you could do the same in an RV10. I would like to hear some other thoughts on the subject....

Last edited by Mike S : 02-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 PM

Default SMA Diesel

We have started talking to SMA about it. So far they are not interested in the experimental market, but we will see. For other countries, the SMA would be an even better option.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation
www.saintaviation.com
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 AM

Wink

I would love to help out. I have probably three folks that are interested in doing this. If we can drum up enough interest maybe they will reduce the price on them enough to make it economical.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Diesel engines

The last time I spoke to a SMA rep at Oshkosh, the price for the engine alone was around $70K. Bring that down by half and I'd also be interested.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Other diesels?

Again, I'm still learning about building your own airplane, so many questions are going through my mind--ones I want to find answers to before I take the purchase plunge.

I'm trying to determine what my engine choices may be for a -10. I'm super interested in piston engines that can run on Jet A (for obvious reasons). What are all the options out there along with the advantages/disadvantages of each? The SMA sounds pretty good (except for the price?) based on the little info I know. Are there other options like this out there?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Shoulda searched

Nevermind. Did a search and found more info than I can even understand. Should have started with that.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM

I was at OshKosh about 2 or 3 years ago and searched out the SMA tent. I was really eager to use their diesel for the same reasons you point out. The guy in the front really didn't know much and when he couldn't answer my questions, he went back into the trailer and brought a fellow with a French accent who knew the engine well. That guy said no chance about the SMA and said he had brought it up with them and they wouldn't let him do it either (for his own experimental).
When I researched them on Google their business plan suggested selling many thousands of engines for retrofits. I don't know what planet they are on, but I can't see that happening at their prices excluding experimental aircraft. They have big bucks in this project from what I can surmise, so I suspect they will become more flexible with time.
The engine looks great on paper, the one at Oshkosh looked even better to me. The company looks very professional. I would have seriously considered buying one it they were available. I understand they are airhogs and heavier than they let on. They discuss this engine in an issue of LPM somewhere, I remember reading it.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 AM

I think I will put together a spreadsheet with the numbers for an O-540 and an SMA at the current price so that they can at least see that the price is too high. If they could make the cost a wash I would definitely consider it. But until at least that time I don't know why anyone would want to do it except to be the first one.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Default Update on Diesel possibilities

Has anyone used a diesel engine for an RV-10?
Are we getting closer to that being a real possibility?
It seems 2007 was the last time the subject was discussed.
Any current updates and comments are appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 AM

I asked SMA 2 or 3 years ago and they didn't even reply to my email......

Since then, I believe the rights were bought by Continental (hopes rose) and then by a Chinese company (sigh.....). Not heard anything since and settled for an Aerosport IO540. I say "settled" - it looks fabulous!

This looks interesting but still coming to fruition: http://www.adeptairmotive.com/Dealer...?newsitem=4748
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2018 Donation Made