What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip rib install

togaflyer

Well Known Member
With the rib installed in the wing tip, a gap around an inch exists between the trailing edge of the rib and the trailing edge of the wing tip. Is this left open or is it glassed in to close it up. Also, Do you glass over the inner edge of the wing tip where the edge of the wing tip transitions to the rib?

Tip rib

I did my initial fit for the wing tip but you may want to hold off on final fit and finish as I'm doing. Once aileron is rigged, I need to cut off 3/8- 1/2" of the trailing edge and rework so it lines up with it. And yes I will be closing off the small section just aft of the rib with a pc of foam and epoxy. Hopefully I'm on the right track as well.

As already mentioned, recommend deferring wingtip fit up until after the wings are on, and you have the flaps and ailerons perfectly rigged.

As far as filling in the exposed ribs, this is a builder choice. On both of my projects I filled in all such voids (flaps, ailerons, wingtips, elevators, HS and VS). I used a piece of rigged foam glued into the rib with micro. I left a 1/8? or so gap between the foam and the rib sides. I then added a couple of bids of glass on top of the foam with the glass edges pushed down into the gaps. The glass is about 1/32? or 1/16? below flush with the rib sides. After cure I add a thin layer of micro on top then sand. My thought was just putting micro on foam would crack as micro has no strength.

One other tip, use a small straw at the apex of the rib to create a water passage so any trapped water can get out.

Carl

Back