Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Default A Steer, A Tandem Bike, Mountain Bikes: What have you hauled in your RV-10?

I saw another thread recently that talked about how great a bearhawk is at hauling things. I don't think many people realize how much you can get in an RV-10. It's got the largest, most comfortable rear seats of any piston single I've been in. That includes a several aircraft noted for their interior volume including a C-182, Trinidad, and Piper Lance. The Lance of course had more total volume, you just had to choose between legroom or shoulder room as a passenger.

Ultimately, the 10 is so useful, so fast, and still so much fun to fly I barely miss the 8. Yes, I do miss aerobatics, and the 8 is a much better formation platform. That said the 10 is surprisingly capable of formation at least up to the FFI limits.

I'll start: I've hauled my family of 4 and a week's camping gear including a huge tent to Oshkosh. I've carried the (frozen and edible parts) of what was once a 1200lb steer, our new tandem bike, and two full size mountain bikes. I'm curious to see what others have done.

One of the family camping trips:

Two Mountain Bikes:

An entire frozen beef: (Careful loading was important here for CG considerations).

Full size tandem bike (with frame couplers). The RV only requires minimal disassembly of the tandem-nothing like packing it in travel cases.

What have you done with your -10 lately? If this thread grows legs, it may become another useful resource for crafting new adventures.
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.

Last edited by Guy Prevost : 01-06-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Default @5 animals!

On a rescue flight from Lawrenceville, Ga to Lakeland Florida, I hauled six crates of animals, including 6 cats and their Mama on plastic sheets with donated newspaper under that...about 6 years ago.

They were quiet as a church mouse...amazing. I'll try and find pictures.

Best,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:28 PM

I see a strong potential for some great sales literature photos in this thread....

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-06-2018, 03:20 PM

I don’t have pix, but I have an unusual story.
I was planning on a trip to Utah to pick up my daughter and a friend. Another friend I know up there used to live on the Navajo Reservation and loves making fry bread with a particular flour, specifically Blue Bird brand that is popular and traditional on the reservation but unavailable where he now lives. Since Blue Bird is available down here, I decided to haul up a 50lb bag for my friend.
My wife, who knew nothing about my Blue Bird flour plans, enjoys using a Utah brand of flour, specifically Lehi Roller Mills, that isn’t available where we live. Unbeknownst to me, she arranged for my daughter to get a 50lb bag to bring back to Arizona.
So it turns out that without prior coordination, on a single round trip I carried on each leg, a 50lb bag of flour, each being of different brand and purpose.
Not exactly the type of mission you dream about when sanding or pounding rivets, but curiously satisfying in an inexplicable way.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014

Last edited by woxofswa : 01-06-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Like Guy, we make several family camping trips a year in the -10. Four people and gear for a week or two, no problem. Lots of great, great memories and accomplishments. No cows yet, but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out if I can fit an elk into the rear seats.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:10 PM

Default Fuel Tank Freighter

A customer had damaged his fuel tank on his RV-10 during a relocation move.
It was dropped on the leading edge and punctured in two places.

So after the repair,the fuel tank was returned to its home in the RV-10. The Fuel tank goes from the rear bulkhead to past my shoulders with the r/h front seat in the flying position.
(10hrs drive or 2.5hrs in the RV-10)

Love this Aircraft !
RV-10 #40597
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 400hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7

Last edited by Dustyone : 01-07-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: the old "forgot to add photos to the sharing folder" trick.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Hey Dustyone--I'm getting blank boxes for your photos.
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Love the room but always want more

More than once we have landed to camp and people are laughing at the stuff I am pulling out. I can tell you this, I can get more in the -10 than what we put in our Acura MDX (Volume not weight). With our kids little I can really pack the foot wells of the back seats with the heavier items.
When it was just my wife and I it was almost impossible to overload the plane with bikes, tents, coolers and chairs. With the kids I weigh everything before the flight and use the Foreflight W&B. Two weeks ago I replaced the two batteries with EarthX lithiums to decrease weight and shift the CG forward. I rarely fly without being loaded.
I still want Van's to make a 6 place turbine that is a scaled down PC-12. That is always my vote when that discussion comes up.

I once had 7 beating hearts in the -10 on one flight.
RaNae and I (2) took off from Salt Lake to Cedar City to pick up two Golden Retrievers with Sean and Hollie (2). RaNae was pregnant and had Anna on her lap who was around 14months old (2), and we ended up bringing one pup home(1).

RV-10 N104XP (1150 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 AM

Two people, Four full 7 1/2 gallon Kegs, a Dog and his birthday cake to a beer competition in Sisters Oregon.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N402RH View Post
Two people, Four full 7 1/2 gallon Kegs, a Dog and his birthday cake to a beer competition in Sisters Oregon.
You, sir, win the internet today. Bravo.
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2018 Dues Paid