VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-19-2017, 10:28 AM

Default In luck, I can help!

I have just what you are looking for: RV14 N814SE located at KCHD. I would be happy to show it to you, although you should know that I am not the builder so I will not be able to answer lots of your questions.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 AM

I flew a Lyc IO-360 powered Swift for close to 200 hours, learned acro in it, and spent a lot of time in non-straight&level mode. No inverted oil system, and no flop tube.

I never did any sustained negative G stuff in it, but lots of Cuban 8's, loops, rolls, point rolls, barrel rolls, hammerheads, etc. Never once had the engine sputter (except in level flight when running a tank dry before switching).

Never a noticeable loss of oil pressure, either.

If you want to do real negative G stuff, be safe and buy/build a Pitts. (Loops and rolls aren't negative G maneuvers; contrary to somewhat common opinions.) :-)

Charlie
Old 12-19-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
I have just what you are looking for: RV14 N814SE located at KCHD. I would be happy to show it to you, although you should know that I am not the builder so I will not be able to answer lots of your questions.
My only real questions are "How do I fit into the plane?" and "Is it awesome or super-awesome?" I'm going to be taking lessons at Chandler, two a day morning and afternoon, the 26th through 30th. Private message to follow with contact info so we can try to coordinate. Thanks for responding!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
I flew a Lyc IO-360 powered Swift for close to 200 hours, learned acro in it, and spent a lot of time in non-straight&level mode. No inverted oil system, and no flop tube.

I never did any sustained negative G stuff in it, but lots of Cuban 8's, loops, rolls, point rolls, barrel rolls, hammerheads, etc. Never once had the engine sputter (except in level flight when running a tank dry before switching).

Never a noticeable loss of oil pressure, either.

If you want to do real negative G stuff, be safe and buy/build a Pitts. (Loops and rolls aren't negative G maneuvers; contrary to somewhat common opinions.) :-)

Charlie
Great, now I have to build TWO airplanes. Here I am, trying to talk myself out of building one, and you come along with the Pitts suggestion.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
With inverted systems, negative G stuff is perfectly safe in an aerobatic RV, same as positive G stuff.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Inverted

I fly aerobatics in my RV8 and do not spend a lot of time at negative G. I originally build the aircraft without an inverted oil system. I did learn however that seconds at negative G can lead to hours scrubbing oil off the belly. I got tired of that and put the complete Raven inverted system in. You could go the half Raven system but I just bit the bullet. I hate laying on the creeper with a rag.
VAF Dues Paid for 2018