- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
Same goes with driving all rivets with a 2X gun vs a 3X.
I should qualify my earlier 2X rivet gun recommendation. I do not recommend it for rivets larger than AD3's (the vast majority of rivets are AD3's). I used my 3X gun for AD4 rivets or any AD3 rivets that you set with a 12" offset back rivet set. If you go with only one gun it should be a 3X with a regulator attached to the gun in my opinion. If you're going to slow build, two guns, each for the right purpose, is a worthwhile investment.

I also used a DRDT and am very pleased with the results, if you set it up right the dimples are nice and uniformly crisp. My wife did a lot of the dimpling with it and it was very easy for her to use.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 PM

Same advice for slow build versus QB.
Get the 3x rivet gun unless you can borrow one for the larger rivets.
You don’t need all the tools right away. Get started with the minimum if you want and get them as you need or want them.
For some items, such as dimple and squeezer dies, I think quality is the way to go, so don’t skimp on them. It will pay off in the long run. You can search the forum for discussions on the best ones. Avery isn’t around any more but I like Cleveland tools, too. That’s just me.
I prefer the battery drills, since they are smaller and lighter than they used to be, but if you decide you need a pneumatic drill you can always get one.
As you progress you will decide what you need and want so sometimes it’s wiser to wait on some items.
Try to meet some builders near you and you can probably get a chance to try out some of the more airplane specific tools before you commit to buying your own. Meeting other builders or joining an active EAA Chapter is about the best thing a new builder can do, in my opinion.

And yes, the RV3 is a challenge, but a lot of fun. Can’t wait to finish!
Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited by sf3543 : 12-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.