What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Do You Refer To Your Unfinished Airplane?

David Paule

Well Known Member
Since most of my visitors are non-homebuilders, and for that matter, non-pilots, I call it the "kit airplane." In fact, that's the way I tend to think of it now, even though I haven an N number reserved.

So how do you refer to yours?

Dave
RV-3B in the shop

Considerably later - I forgot to include something that should have been included, sorry. I use the term "kit airplane" to differentiate it from my flying Cessna out in a hangar at the airport, which most shop visitors know I have.
Dave

Last edited:
She has been named. Her name is Jane (for Plane Jane). The other woman in my life that gets a lot of my attention. Still building the fuselage.

The Girlfriend. Fianc? is ok with the name even.

It might just makes it way onto the airplane when flying, that way I can tell everyone I spent time with the girlfriend, took her for a ride, went on a trip with her, etc.

Airplane project. Or, if I'm not in the mood to play 20 questions, my woodworking project.

I called it my Project or my Hobbie. Tried to stress it was not an airplane until I received the airworthiness certificate. That always seemed to make visitors feel like there was a formal process to get approval to fly as they typical envisioned a garage built airplane to be unregulated.

The airplane

I?m going to the workshop to work on the airplane.

I?m buying parts for the airplane.

I need your help with the airplane.

I?d love to take out the trash, but I?m buried in the back of the airplane.

Least favorite question

My least favorite question when people hear I built an airplane is, "oh was it a kit?" The term kit does not do justice to the nature of building a Vans aircraft.

Most are surprised when I show them a picture. "Oh wow, it's a real airplane"

Michael-

Last edited:
Someone gave me the stock answer for the "Oh it is just a kit" comment..
I would explain that it is a kit, like going to Home Depot with a big truck and buying a "house kit". Seemed to put in better perspective.

My least favorite question when people hear a built an airplane is, "oh was it a kit?" The term kit does not do justice to the nature of building a Vans aircraft.

Most are surprise when I show them a picture. "Oh wow, it's a real airplane"

Michael-

Heh heh, many phrases sprung to mind.
Some are not repeatable in public.
Usual explanation:
"We're building a kit plane. Kinda like a mini Mustang-ish. No, it is not a microlight. Yes, it really is in our garage. Yes, we know that's not normal."

what do I call it

It is a kit. A box of parts. But on December 2nd 2018, mine turned into the newest aircraft in America when I received the Airworthiness Certificate. That honor lasted for just a moment, until Boeing certified another 737. But now my kit is an aircraft.

Refer to the build?

I have been in this so long I hardly know anyone that doesn’t have a RV!
When someone ask what are you building, I say,,, 8,,, 14,, or what ever is in the shop at the time. Second question might be is it an A? Or tail wheel?

I’d rather hear a question like You want to fly out for lunch?
That would be yes, what time?

I just wish I could say,,,,,,,,,, mind if I take the jet?

Last edited:
Mine is called "The Mistress". My wife is always saying, "spending another evening with The Mistress?"

I read this one on this web site many years ago...
"The wife calls my project Mistress Mistletoe. Mistress because I spend all my time with her, and mistletoe because every time I walk by her you can kiss some money goodbye."

I forgot who on here once said that during times of stress, the project was known as "the money-sucking wh*re that lives in the garage" :)

I just called mine "the airplane". Yeah, yeah, not a plane until it's got an A/W Cert, but it's easier to explain that way. Plus, it was a constant question from friends, family, coworkers, etc..."How's the airplane coming along?"

I forgot who on here once said that during times of stress, the project was known as "the money-sucking wh*re that lives in the garage" :)

Is it wrong that I may start calling my plane that only substituting 'money' occasionally with, 'life', 'energy' or 'marriage'?

The Airplane

I have always referred to my build as "the airplane." It has been an airplane since the moment I conceived it in my mind and set a goal to make it materialize. A piece of paper from the FAA doesn't make mine an airplane. Long before the first rivet was driven it was already one.

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
-Michelangelo

Back