What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy fiberglass fairing

Allan Stern

Well Known Member
I am just getting started on the fiberglass on the canopy. But before I do was wondering if there are any manufactures who are making already molded fairings for sale?

Allan Stern RV -12
RV 8a flying
RV 6a sold

I believe there is, but custom fitting the fairing on your aircraft looks and fits so much better than a generic faring, its really worth doing it per the KIA. When you come across an RV-12 with one of those it just doesn't look very good. After spending $$$ on your build, this is not the place to cut corners...

Allan,

Don't be intimidated by working in fiber glass. It offers the ultimate "do over" experience. Just sand it out and add another layer of glass fiber if you screw it up. My first home built (a WAR FW-150) was fiberglass over a wood frame. It taught me to love the stuff except for the epoxy allergy I developed. The new poly epoxy processes require good ventilation, but I did not experience any rash on my hands.

Rich

Fiberglass Fairings

Believe me I have done fiber grassing before and did it on the 6A & 8A but am always looking for short cuts if they make my job easier.

Thanks.

You can go to my website and see pictures and instructions on how to lay up the fairing and finish it off of the airplane. Pretty easy and the results are very good. Email me if you have any questions.

Back