What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Hartell Prop - Oil on Windscreen

fbrewer

Well Known Member
Members,

we are 28 hours into our new Hartzell Constant Speed Prop, and we continue to get a slight amount of oil on the passenger side front windscreen.

Additionally, only one blade shows any sign (very small oil drip evidence) of oil on the blade.

The prop is: HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2/SMB

We have a new (28 hours) IO-360-M1B

The plane is an RV-6.

Anyone else having this issue with a new Hartzell prop?

Last edited:
Members,

we are 28 hours into our new Hartzell Constant Speed Prop, and we continue to get a slight amount of oil on the passenger side front windscreen.

Additionally, only one blade shows any sign (very small oil drip evenidence) of oil on the blade.

The prop is: HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2/SMB

We have a new (28 hours) IO-360-M1B

The plane is an RV-6.

Anyone else having this issue with a new Hartzell prop?

You might also check out the great perks. Mine failed and covered the windscreen with grease which looked like oil.

I had a Hartzell F7068 on my Lancair that never stopped slinging grease from day one. Had to have it resealed, Hartzell paid for it.

What you're seeing may be a little grease from a new prop, or a little grease leaking from a Zerk fitting.

The Hartzell Propeller Owner's Manual has the proper torques for the hub clamping bolts/spinner bulkhead mounting nuts.

Thanks Carl, we'll give it a shot.

Thanks Carl, we'll give it a shot.
2 flights, 3.6 hours total on new Hartzell from Vans and I have grease on right side of -7 windscreen. I will try the above recommendations and also talk with Hartzell tomorrow. I do see grease streaks on back of both blades.

Major concern and questions does Plexus or Prist cleaner remove this without harming windscreen?

Thanks for you comments!

John, Plexus works fine to remove the grease.

I think part of the issue is the **** grease that we still use in aircraft. During hot weather here (I'm in Tasmanian so it's not even hot by Australian standards), the Aeroshell #6 appears to separate the lighter components of the grease. I came into the hangar one day and there was a pool of light fluid under my grease gun. It was running out like water. It blows me away that we still use these clay based grease in aircraft. I use just regular machinery grease (Renolit LEP 2 HD) on everything else (wheel bearings, tail wheel etc.) and am frankly thinking about using it in the propeller also. We moved away decades ago from clay based greases in agriculture... because they sucked. We used to have far higher bearing failure rates/corrosion issues etc. when we were using clay based greases. Another case of aviation needing to get with the 21st century. The same people that tell me I can't run mogas in my aircraft will probably tell me I have to continue to use these rubbish greases, but I can tell you that none of our other greases on the farm will leave a pool of watery hydrocarbons beneath them on a 32°C day.
You also read about "hard packed" grease forming inside the hub, which leads me to believe that there is separation going on in there, and what we are seeing on the windscreen are the lighter components of the grease.

Tom
RV-7 with a hartzell C/S that also leaked.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it would have been nice of them to include a grease that worked when they built the thing, instead of this muck that turns to water.

Tom.

2 flights, 3.6 hours total on new Hartzell from Vans and I have grease on right side of -7 windscreen. I will try the above recommendations and also talk with Hartzell tomorrow. I do see grease streaks on back of both blades.

Major concern and questions does Plexus or Prist cleaner remove this without harming windscreen?

Thanks for you comments!

Pledge and a micro cloth (yes, what you use on furniture) takes just about anything off a windscreen and leaves is sparkling clean. After trying many products, I keep returning to Pledge.

Back