What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint question?

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
On the advice of a good friend, I placed a call to Pacific Fighters, in Idaho Falls. They do many warbird restorations, especially P-51 Mustangs. A nice example is “Berlin Express”.

When asked about paint, they said to use flat, non-metallic if I wanted to have an authentic look. Note that Berlin Express is all done in flat, and it is stunning in appearance. Pacific Fighters actually uses an auto paint on their restorations, from Northstar.

Just wondering how many of you have chosen a flat paint, rather than a super shiny high gloss finish.

Edit: Tried to upload an image of the paint job. Failed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo!
That is Northstar auto paint, in flat finish. The paint is excellent quality and very durable. Plus it is not high priced.

As Mustang paint schemes are popular with RV owners, just wondered if anyone has done a flat paint finish? In the pursuit of a period correct look.

Thanks again, great looking plane!

It would appear that from the lack of response, flat WWII paint is not popular. I actually like it. It’s my understanding that every plane off the assembly line from 1942-1945 came with flat paint, or unfinished aluminum.

Last edited:
Back