What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle Seal Rip/Tear ... any way to repair?

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
I have a couple very minor baffle seal rips/tears from just taking the cowl off and on, is there a cement that can be used to successfully bond these tears so they don't progress?

They aren't bad enough to replace the seal .. and you have to purchase the entire seal kit, I can't just get the two small pieces that have torn.

Thanks for any advice!

I had to replace both front seals and I had some left over from a previous build. I also had some seal material from a long time back and it had impregnated thread/ canvas in it. It's still in good shape and much stronger than what is supplied but I did not have a piece long enough.
I would really like to find more of that stuff. Anyone know if it is still available?
Thanks

You can "stitch" the tear with rib lacing and a rib stitching needle. The rib lacing is wax coated and holds up very well over time. With care, it can be done to look purposeful and neat.
I also coat the stitching with RTV, rub it in with a finger and it adds a layer of protection.

The tears are probably 1/8 inch. I'm really just trying to prevent them from getting worse over time. Not even noticeable when I push them back into place.

I wonder if some CA will do it?

I have a couple very minor baffle seal rips/tears from just taking the cowl off and on, is there a cement that can be used to successfully bond these tears so they don't progress?

They aren't bad enough to replace the seal .. and you have to purchase the entire seal kit, I can't just get the two small pieces that have torn.

What seals and seal kit are we talking about here?

Bill,
I used a plenum and probably have my baffle seals in my hangar I didn't use. If you want it, I will be home Sunday and will check and send it to you. Let me know if you can wait until then.

On original construction 750 hrs ago, I was making some compound curves in the seal fabric around the nose section of the engine. I simply lap joined the baffle fabric with gorilla snot (weatherstrip adhesive).
Still holding together fine.

Thanks all.

@DanH the -14 comes with the rubber baffle seals cut to final size and chamfered. Vans only sells the entire kit, it was around $400. If I was to replace I would just need two small around the air intake.

@rockwoodrv9 Thanks for the offer! But save them for the next guy, it's not bad enough to warrant redoing them.

I have had good luck using a small hole punch to "stop drill" tears in the rubber gasket material.

Back