What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgrade advice requested: Jump on in

daddyman

Well Known Member
Fellow RV-4'ers,
I'm now ready for an upgrade.

Choice 1= SlickStart for my SlickMags. Reason; darn tough to start hot due to fuel injection.
I've tried the mixture back, throttle forward, method...
I've tried the cool it with fuel boost method...
I've tried the rub the lucky rabbit's foot and try not to swear method...
Yet I crank and crank and crank, and pray and crank.

Choice 2= ADS-B receiver. Stratus 1st Generation is only $500 and could provide real-time weather during my cross country jaunts, which I do pretty frequently.
Dual XGPS170 is $550, but works with my AOPA FlyQ app for my iPad.

Begin your voting!
Daddyman
N262DF newbie

Upgrades

Easy solutions...BOTH..

These are not the ''most'' expensive upgrades so go for both..

Peace of mind on the ground and in the air is worth the price..

IMHO

Bruno:D

First off, I would enlist the assistance of someone who is familiar with starting a hot, injected engine and see if they are having the same trouble you are.

If they can start it without any issues, you can too---------just takes a bit of schooling. Lots cheaper than the Slick Start.

If there is a problem starting from an experienced pilot/mechanic, look at the impulse coupler, and the mags themselves to be sure they are in good condition.

The Slick Start is a neat unit, but I have seen it used to cover up the real problem more than once.

Good luck, fly safe.

I have a lot of trouble with my fuel injected when hot. I've tried all the methods you have, and the only thing that has consistently worked is 1/4 inch with throttle/ mixture full out. crank and push mixture in slowly.

Fellow RV-4'ers,
I'm now ready for an upgrade.

Choice 1= SlickStart for my SlickMags. Reason; darn tough to start hot due to fuel injection.
I've tried the mixture back, throttle forward, method...
I've tried the cool it with fuel boost method...
I've tried the rub the lucky rabbit's foot and try not to swear method...
Yet I crank and crank and crank, and pray and crank.

Choice 2= ADS-B receiver. Stratus 1st Generation is only $500 and could provide real-time weather during my cross country jaunts, which I do pretty frequently.
Dual XGPS170 is $550, but works with my AOPA FlyQ app for my iPad.

Begin your voting!
Daddyman
N262DF newbie

Pathfinder ADS-B

Daddyman,

You may also want to consider our Pathfinder Remote ADS-B receiver for $549. It will be compatible with FlyQ's next release and you can permanently mount it to your RV since it is designed for homebuilts.

Thanks,

Chuck Newman
Flight Data Systems
VAF Advertiser

Chuck,
Thanks much for the advice.

I've tried a few iPad flight apps and really like FLYQ-efb, it just seems intuitive, and you need only touch something twice to get the information. A single inadvertent touch of the screen-which can happen in the plane does not change anything. I like that.

P.S. got good advice form others relating to hot starts too.
Thanks,
Daddyman
N262 DF

Simple, Choice 3 is learn to hot start the thing, and invest in other stuff. :)

OK, for a start the boost pump thing is for TCM injection, unless you have a return line there is nothing to gain by doing this as far as cooling the pump, but it will help post start in keeping pressure up.

Fix the following, mag timing, plugs gapped at 0.016-0.018" and under 5000 ohms.

Do not use mogas. Higher RVP.

Get in the habit of setting 1000-1100 RPM on shut down, and DO NOT TOUCH the throttle. Use ICO with mixture. Then when you start, crank until it coughs, then roll up the mixture, not slamming it, but progressively. Be ready to turn the pump on if need be.

In thousands of starts, I have never had a hot start problem with a conforming engine started with the right technique. Now is not a good time to listen to all the hanger experts.

Hot Starts

When I built my IO-360 engine I installed a Purge Valve from Airflow Performance. With a hot engine, I just pull out the Purge Valve cable with mixture in, turn on Boost Pump for about 4 or 5 seconds then off, push in the Purge Valve cable and pull back the mixture. I then crack the throttle and crank. Soon as it starts firing, in about two turns, in with mixture. I have a left magneto with impulse, and a right ElectoAir electronic ignition. I turn the EI on after about one revolution while cranking.

Works For Me

-8A with Aerosport IO-360. Had a lot of trouble with hot starts here in the Mojave Desert, but finally found a procedure that works for me:

Shut down with RPM around 950 using mixture ICO

For start:
Do not touch electric boost pump - any boost seems to flood the engine
Throttle - full open
Prop - High RPM
Mixture - ICO

Crank engine and slowly advance mixture a couple inches after a few blades

Throttle to idle after start

90+% success rate - but be prepared with whatever words seem appropriate for other10%.

Back