VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Flying from SEA-RDD-PHX (about 1200 miles). A cold front approaching south bound my record RV4, 150HP O320 with constant speed prop. Alt mid teens and en-route GS average over half the trip was +270 MPH. I forgot MAP and fuel flow but I was below 55% power.

My RV-4 had a no-wind no-reserve econ range was about 800 miles at 55%. Route from SEA to PHX direct is about 1100 miles total but typically flew SEA-RDD-PHX. One fuel stop was always needed. However this day I was showing over RDD enough fuel to make PHX area (no reserves). I ending up making my first fuel stop 300 miles past RDD to BIH, Bishop CA a great fuel stop, a gas pump in the sky at +4000 feet. Highly recommend it. Less descent and climb to get back en-route. I thought about adding AUX fuel after that, to make one leg trips between SEA and PHX. I never did, but then again how often to you get +80MPH tail winds.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : Yesterday at 11:34 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

In regards to Latech15 post about 120 on the way back. I once flew the RV to SunNFun with a very nice tailwind yielding max speeds of 229 mph across the ground. On the return trip home I was 130 most all the way. I actually felt I was NEVER going to make it home. Many years ago I flew my good ol cessna 152 from South Alabama to Norfolk, Virginia to visit my son when he was in the navy. My max GS going up and coming back was 130 mph. I actually had this thought... "I can see how guys get hooked on this speed stuff!"

It's all a matter of perspective. :-)
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$

Last edited by Paul 5r4 : Yesterday at 12:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partner14 View Post
I have dual lightspeed electronic ignition. Was told, and later confirmed, that with an RV10 if you have cold air induction and higher compression you will have heat issues. So why can't anyone just believe what a person says about their plane without trying to school them.
Because perhaps you were told wrong? Maybe you should be able to run full power without having a temperature problem? Might be something others have been through and solved, and you could, too?

An awful lot of RVs with all sorts of configurations out there flying around not having cooling problems.

But again, to start with a *basic* question...what CHTs do you see, and what do you consider to be "too high"? What does the engine manual say is allowable?

A lot of people get panicky when they see a CHT above some value which is WAAAAY below what the engine manual says is allowable. I know some guys who insist on keeping them below 380, or even 360, at all times, despite what the manual says. (THAT should open the flame wars here ).

So what are yours?
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Flew into Buckeye, west of Phoenix to visit an old friend of my wifes. That evening all **** broke loose. Haboob is what they call it. Long story short... went out to airport, turned plane around. Noticed damage to rudder. Next morning flew non-stop to 0tx1, and landed with approx 9 gallons remaining. That's the fathest I've flown non-stop. (758nm, 872sm). Then after contacting the insurance company, they paid me to build a new rudder.
Don
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

I like to keep the CHT's in cruise below 400. If they creep a little iver that in a climb I don't worry too much. But the numbers you see on the AFS for #5 and #6 of 377 and 379 are numbers I'm happy with.
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I like to keep the CHT's in cruise below 400. If they creep a little iver that in a climb I don't worry too much. But the numbers you see on the AFS for #5 and #6 of 377 and 379 are numbers I'm happy with.
That's fine, nothing wrong with those temps.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Picture links in post 1 still bring up an error at the link...
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Quote:
And what do you see WOT at a comparable altitude? (ROP vs LOP is important to know, as well).