VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-29-2019, 05:35 PM

I cycle once on the first flight of the day for VFR ops. I cycle each takeoff for actual IMC departures. I'm not so much worried about cold oil in the hub as I am about catching a failing (or failed) component.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:34 PM

I'm not convinced about the warm oil idea, the prop hub oil does not circulate, it only adds or subtracts a little oil to change the pitch a little bit during normal flight operations. The propeller hub oil temperature must certainly be very close to the ambient air temperature.
I have upgraded the blades on my Yak-55, which included removing the propeller pitch dome. Inside (after the expected liter of oil poured out) I found a ring of carbon crud. This is centrifugally deposited and lays next to the oil seal. Every hydraulic constant speed propeller must be like this.
The oil enters and departs the hub thru a tube in the center, so carbon deposited must be manually removed. The fewer times the prop is cycled, the fewer times carbon is deposited.
I cycle the prop twice before take-off because I want to know that it works.
I'll probably remove the piston dome on the next condition inspection to inspect the parts and clean the carbon out.
https://www.monoplaneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=192
a link to the monoplane forum where I have a few pics of the prop blade upgrade and the carbon inside the prop pitch actuator.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 11-30-2019, 02:28 PM

What does the propeller manual from the manufacturer say?

The Hartzell manual gives instructions on prop checks during run-up in the Inspection and Check chapter, section 3, paragraph B.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:28 PM

I read an article years ago about this. As I remember it one of the reasons for cycling the prop was to change the oil in the hub to prevent deposits from building up. If you want to check the operation of the governor it seems to me you would pull the prop control back some to the point where it doing some controlling and advance the throttle up to see if the rpms hold. Hope this makes sense.
2019 dues paid
Old 12-01-2019, 01:19 AM

I only move my elevator two inches each way before take-off to make sure it works.. Hope this helps. 🙄
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 12-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Default Not that it matters to your comment, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIPCHIEF View Post
I'm not convinced about the warm oil idea, the prop hub oil does not circulate, it only adds or subtracts a little oil to change the pitch a little bit during normal flight operations. The propeller hub oil temperature must certainly be very close to the ambient air temperature.
I have upgraded the blades on my Yak-55, which included removing the propeller pitch dome. Inside (after the expected liter of oil poured out) I found a ring of carbon crud. This is centrifugally deposited and lays next to the oil seal. Every hydraulic constant speed propeller must be like this.
The oil enters and departs the hub thru a tube in the center, so carbon deposited must be manually removed. The fewer times the prop is cycled, the fewer times carbon is deposited.
I cycle the prop twice before take-off because I want to know that it works.
I'll probably remove the piston dome on the next condition inspection to inspect the parts and clean the carbon out.
https://www.monoplaneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=192
a link to the monoplane forum where I have a few pics of the prop blade upgrade and the carbon inside the prop pitch actuator.
Scott, typically the deposits are lead from the fuel that has made its way into the oil. It gets really hard from the centrifugal forces. Centrifugal oil filters do the same thing. They do collect carbon when applied to diesel engines with higher particulate (soot) production.

I suppose it could be carbon on a specific engine if the oil generates carbon particles from contact with high temperature interior surfaces. Not typical though.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Shrunken Exit = ??
No Photo? => PM me.