What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall heat shielding / soundproofing recommendations?

sjarrell

Well Known Member
Any suggestions or recommendations regarding additional soundproofing and / or heat shielding for the firewall for the 14?

Thanks!

I fly my 14 in south Louisiana, where the temps this summer were often 95+. I never open the heater flaps, and fly with socks on no shoes. It's pretty hot taxiing around but I kept the canopy cracked until takeoff; I usually latch it for the runup it wants to come up some when you rev the engine.

With all of that I haven't found the firewall to be a hot problem. I don't have any special insulation on it. Now that its colder I'm especially not noticing it in any way.

My noise cancelling headphones do pretty well; I have the Bose and the latest David Clarks; the noise cancelling feature of the DC mic make it the winner for me in this plane.

Read through these three threads:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=154919
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=131516
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=72087

Short summary:
Ceramic fiber insulation with stainless overlay and fire sealant ON ENGINE SIDE. Cabin side BARE.

Remember, it's a firewall. Its job is to protect you in the case of an engine fire. Putting things on the cabin side of the firewall that will catch fire when the firewall gets hot, and either burn you or kill you with toxic fumes, defeats the purpose.

I fly my 14 in south Louisiana, where the temps this summer were often 95+. I never open the heater flaps, and fly with socks on no shoes. It's pretty hot taxiing around but I kept the canopy cracked until takeoff; I usually latch it for the runup it wants to come up some when you rev the engine.

With all of that I haven't found the firewall to be a hot problem. I don't have any special insulation on it. Now that its colder I'm especially not noticing it in any way.

My noise cancelling headphones do pretty well; I have the Bose and the latest David Clarks; the noise cancelling feature of the DC mic make it the winner for me in this plane.

Agree 100%. My choice was not to insulate the firewall: if had gone this route, I would have followed the Dan Horton method referred to in Rmartingt's post above. The tunnel sides get a little warm but normal ventilation keeps airplane comfortable. I've only used heat for brief periods on cold (Florida cold) days - works very well, but mostly the greenhouse effect keeps the cabin comfortable. Even with OAT in the mid 40s I still use a bit of ventilation thanks to the sun keeping it warm inside. I do wear shoes when I fly however!

As for noise, I only notice two kinds: engine at higher RPMs and my right vent is noisy when partially open. Cracked a little or wide open it's not a problem but for some reason it make noise in the mid-range. Pilot side vent isn't noisy. Otherwise ANR headsets do well.

Last edited:
I 3 decided not to insulate and have had no heat issues. Of course I fly a 14, which is cooler. Plus I wear shoes, socks, and pants.
The Bose keeps things amazingly quiet.

R
So. Fla.

Nada

In my experience, most of the "noise" is coming from the exhaust. Installing carpeting in the foot wells from the spar to the firewall reduced the noise dramatically

Classic Aero, and perhaps others, have a pre-cut carpet kit in a variety of colors and also have a heel "contact patch" option to keep the wear down.

B

In my experience, most of the "noise" is coming from the exhaust. Installing carpeting in the foot wells from the spar to the firewall reduced the noise dramatically

Classic Aero, and perhaps others, have a pre-cut carpet kit in a variety of colors and also have a heel "contact patch" option to keep the wear down.

B

Agree with this - when I fully installed my interior from Classic Aero, noticed a big improvement.

Good point on the carpet; mine is carpeted and I haven't flown without it so I can't compare.

Yeah, I got in the no shoes habit flying in a friend's 9; really does cut down on the little **** on the floor.

FWF insulation

Koolmat sells a product called Zero Clearance. Great for the firewall and cowling. Peel n stick makes it easy.

Back