What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Advice Needed

Flybob

Can anyone tell me the difference between a IO-360-M1B and a IO-360-B1B ??

I have found a IO-360-B1B and want to know if it will work for my RV7A that I am building and what if any modifications I will have to make.

Thanks,

Bob

Differences

The M1B has horizontal induction...I believe that the B1B does not...I think the B1B requires the chin scope where the M1B does not have a chin scope on the cowl.

Check the Lycoming Type Certificate Data Sheet

There are multiple differences between the B1B and the M1B engine configurations. Trace it back from the TCDS:

The IO-360-M1B is similar to IO-360-M1A except it has a rear mounted propeller governor and impulse magneto; The M1A is similar to IO-360-B1E except it has a front inlet fuel injector, prop governor on front of crankcase and retard magneto; The B1E is similar to the IO-360-B1B except for the oil sump, induction manifolding and alternate magnetos; The B1B is similar to IO-360-B1A except it has a Bendix RSA-5AD1 injector and fuel pressure limit at inlet to diaphragm pump;

So, the B1B has a front-mounted prop governor, a different oil sump and induction manifolding, and Bendix mags with impulse coupling.

The B1B also weighs a little less than the M1B (11 pounds lighter according to the TCDS)

All the deltas in configurations can be located on the TCDS sheet for the Lycoming IO-360 engine available on the FAA website.

Hope this helps.

sk

Back