What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finished top skin on right wing today

Latintan

Well Known Member
Lot's of time spent on re-doing rivets that were bucked with the wrong bucking bar. Had to take them out and redo several but the overall result was good. On to the leading edge now. More to come...

Manny, when you Cleo the upper skins on will it straighten the slight bow in the spars? How "loaded" are the holes due this bow?

Mike, not sure what you mean. I did not notice a bow in the spar. Do you have a picture of be more specific and I'll try to help by looking at mine

My spars have an obvious bow in the aft direction. The step bars are on the forward side of the spar and the spar has at least a 3/8" bow towards the rear and away from the step bars. I can flex the spar web at the outboard end with moderate finger pressure and straighten most of it, but was wondering if the skins would oil can from being loaded. I will try and post a picture later.

I think I understand what you mean. I bought my kit from another builder who had the ribs attached to the main spars so I did not see the spar in it's original state. My starting point was the rear spars and then the top skin so I did not notice a bow on the assembly. Perhaps as you progress, the assembly will straighten out and eliminate this bow. To some degree, my skins seemed to lay perfectly on top of the spars and ribs and I did not notice a problem with bowing. However, clecos do align everything as they need to be before riveting. Make sure they are on and tight.

My upper skins should go on for the first time tomorrow. I will let you know how it works out.

Mike,
The skin will pull everything straight. However it is a good idea to put a mid span support under the rear spar to hold the wing spar straight and level. Usually just a block of wood on the floor will work.

Mark, Good point regarding supporting the rear spar. Looks like some plans have changed and it will be anoter day or two before I can try and get the skins fitted.

I managed to get the left wing upper skins cleco'd on this evening. The slight bow in the spar straightened right out and the skins held it straight with no oil canning. I originally estimated the bow to be about 3/8" but after installing the top skins I was able to use the skin edge as a reference and it turns out it is only about a 1/4". I assumed the skins would straighten things out, but it is sure nice to know for a fact that it is not an issue!

Update: I marked the spar web and remeasured the bow, it turned out to be .60"

Last edited:
Back