What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM IC-A210 Intercom, considering Garmin GTR 200

n662ff

I'm New Here
Folks, I have a RV-7A which has installed a ICOM IC-A210. Radio works fine, however the "built in intercom" does not exactly live up to the name. The radio just returned from ICOM where it got a free firmware update to 1.63.001 which I was hoping had more adjustment in the squelch to avoid open mics in flight - but no joy.

Yes, I could (and have) use a external intercom, but I'm trying here to avoid all extra stuff - and I hate having equipment that does not work right.

I've set the mic squelch to 30 on both sides, it there some other trick to make this thing work in a loud cockpit?

Has anyone installed and used the intercom in the Garmin GTR-200? If I could get $750 for the otherwise perfect ICOM, I could have the Stereo Auto Squelch Garmin for $500 out of pocket.

I just installed in my aircraft last weekend. I have enabled all the features, such as 3D audio, intercom, music input, and GPS-vhf-in. I previously had an Icom IC-A200.

The GTR 200 intercom works very good. I have experimental Super Cub so my cabin noise is fairly high. I flew with passenger over weekend and the intercom did an excellent job of auto-squelch. With my previous intercom I had to often play with the manual squelch depending on power settings, whether window open, etc. The intercom has most features you would expect, including a pilot ISO mode.

I also really like the radio functions and am jazzed I can do standby radio monitoring. The display is great and has auto lighting adjust with built-in sensor. 3D audio is nifty too, I like the separation of audio logically.

All of my radio checks came back 5x5, from tower and fellow pilots.

I'd give it a big thumbs up so far!

...I could have the Stereo Auto Squelch Garmin for $500 out of pocket.
If you can get one. Mine was ordered at Oshkosh this year, and I still don't have it. It sounds like they may have had a small first production run, and it's taking some time to get the second run finished and out the door.

Folks, I have a RV-7A which has installed a ICOM IC-A210. Radio works fine, however the "built in intercom" does not exactly live up to the name. The radio just returned from ICOM where it got a free firmware update to 1.63.001 which I was hoping had more adjustment in the squelch to avoid open mics in flight - but no joy.

Yes, I could (and have) use a external intercom, but I'm trying here to avoid all extra stuff - and I hate having equipment that does not work right.

I've set the mic squelch to 30 on both sides, it there some other trick to make this thing work in a loud cockpit?

Has anyone installed and used the intercom in the Garmin GTR-200? If I could get $750 for the otherwise perfect ICOM, I could have the Stereo Auto Squelch Garmin for $500 out of pocket.

The GTR-200 is an awesome radio/intercom. I installed one last year and LOVE it. Cant say enough good things about it.

Back