What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The RV-10 St Petersburg FL #41460

rvbuilder

Hey all,

We have started our build and wanted to post an update.

We received our -10 on April 26th. Since I had the back surgery last month we decided to wait until Sun N Fun to order at the event.

Of course I couldn't let the crate sit unopened. We inventoried the evening it came and began work the next day.

We have completed the vertical stab and rudder but still need to install the fiberglass. I am on fence whether to do fiberglass now or wait and do it all at once further down the road. I read what Bob Lefler wrote about it and now think I may do it as I build the part. This way were aren't working n fiberglass for a month when we are finished.

I damaged one part so far. I new better but did it anyway argh...I broke the leading edge of the rudder while scuffing it after I machine countersunk it. It was a dumb move. I should have left it on the bench and scuffed it but I held onto it and of course it buckled in my hand. I used the second piece I had for the leading edge and will order a new replacement from Vans.

I damaged one tool so far. Broke the carbide tip off the #30 machine countersink bit I was using on the R-1007 striker plates. I didnt squeeze the vise enough and it hung up and broke the tip. Aw well.....I ordered a few extras of the #30 and the #40 so if I do it again I wont have to wait for the tool to arrive. Cleaveland shipped em out Friday and I had them Tuesday. Other than that we are enjoying ourselves. I am sure I will be ordering more tools along the way.

Couple of photos below...

Back riveting
162625.jpg

165904.jpg

That's it for now. Starting the Horizontal Stabilizer tomorrow. My brother in law Zeke has been coming over on Sundays and Thursday nights to help and it really made a huge difference. Zeke is an Aviation Engineer and was able to jump right in and help.

I second Bob's recommendation to do the fiberglass as you go. In small doses it can be a nice break from the sheetmetal work, and it will help protect those al. edges when you start moving things around.

If you can knock out all the fiberglass in a month, you will be doing better than most.

Jim Berry
RV-10

If you can knock out all the fiberglass in a month, you will be doing better than most.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I wish it was just a month. My wife and I spent most of last summer working on the glass. Of course as beginners, we did some areas multiple times to get just right.

Cool thanks for the replies. I will do just that and get it done before moving forward. I am sure my "month" guestimate was way off but you get the jist of what I was thinking :) and it will help me learn more about glass as I go.

Thanks!!

Cool thanks for the replies. I will do just that and get it done before moving forward. I am sure my "month" guestimate was way off but you get the jist of what I was thinking :) and it will help me learn more about glass as I go.

Thanks!!

Also, learning on the tail fairings is a good place to start. Those are pretty straight forward and easy. This will give you some practice before you get to the cabin cover and windscreen..

St. Pete

Nice work you guys. If I had known about your project last weekend, I would have stopped by for words of encouragement.I was down for my 55th HS reunion on the beach. I second the glass work as you go, and building in the garage will pay off with your time spent building and not travelling.
You are on the way now and look forward to meeting you sometime.

2nd Time

Hey Bob

Not sure if you know this is James's second time on this tail. He did the tails and wings before he got derailed.

He helped me get started back in 2004.

I know he is going to make it this time with such a great wife support team!

Go James!!!

Thanks Daryl!! She is a blessing for sure! How I got her is still a puzzle to me but I am grateful! She is always asking what she can do to help. Very supportive of the kids, the project and of our future. I am glad to be back and am happy to have the smell of primer and proseal around my workshop! heh...

Looking forward to connecting also. I know of a couple of guys locally who are building but haven't connected yet. Hopefully someone will be traveling to St Pete in their -10 soon and will call us so we can go for a ride. :)

Nice work you guys. If I had known about your project last weekend, I would have stopped by for words of encouragement.I was down for my 55th HS reunion on the beach. I second the glass work as you go, and building in the garage will pay off with your time spent building and not travelling.
You are on the way now and look forward to meeting you sometime.

James I like your super shop. Enjoy the building and take tons of pictures it happens once in a lifetime for most of us. Is your webcam operational? Couldn't get an image on iPad.

Yes it is operational but uses flash so it wont work on an ipad. You would have to download the dropcam app and then click featured cams. We are listed in their featured cams area. Its best viewed on a computer.

Back