What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alt air handle location?

jfisher

Ready to order the panel from Steinair. Not excited about the alt air handle located between the throttle and the prop on the lower quadrant. Apparently that's a common location.

Any thoughts on mounting that alt air cable handle somewhere else? Possibly below the radio stack on the panel. Or maybe on the left side below the cabin heat?

Any thoughts?

I put my parking brake at the left side of the panel. Pilot heater at my right, on the left of the throttle bracket. Alt Air is on right of the throttle bracket. Psgr heater at the far right panel. So the Throttle - Prop - Mixture is centered in the throttle bracket.

SteinAir made the throttle bracket. I had to expand one hole to make it all work but it looks fantastic and their bracket is top notch.

We put ours on the throttle bracket as seemed like the default location. Honestly, we don't even notice it now. So it is definitely not in the way. And putting it there keeps all the push cables together in one pathway behind the panel.

On a separate note, the plans call for two firewall pass throughs. That's what we did, but it was a real bear. A third one would have made life a lot easier. For example, we would like to swap out our throttle cable now for a vernier style. But that probably isn't going to happen soon, not wanting to disturb and re-stuff that firewall penetration.

Firewall penetrations: easier replacement of cables?

IO-390, FM-150 fuel servo, stock VANS exhaust.
Added two more penetrations to the firewall, to allow easier routing of the mix and throttle cables due to the FM-150 setup.
Governor cable goes through a different penetration.
The engine sensor wires are separated from the higher voltage wires.
EI Commander wires also took up some wire space in the firewall penetrations.
Despite all this, the thing is still not flying! :)

We put ours on the throttle bracket as seemed like the default location. Honestly, we don't even notice it now. So it is definitely not in the way. And putting it there keeps all the push cables together in one pathway behind the panel.

On a separate note, the plans call for two firewall pass throughs. That's what we did, but it was a real bear. A third one would have made life a lot easier. For example, we would like to swap out our throttle cable now for a vernier style. But that probably isn't going to happen soon, not wanting to disturb and re-stuff that firewall penetration.

Agree with this: I would add that changing from the "standard" routing of cables below the panel is tricky when you consider all the other stuff in that location including wiring. If you decide to move the alt air to another location be sure to consider the entire routing of the cable and mock it up before drilling anything. The current/standard location below T-P-M cables doesn't get in my way so I'm happy I stuck with it.

Thanks guys. That gives me something better to consider. Will probably leave it in the original position.

drifting off the thread here but ''alternate air'', doesn't anyone but me have an alternate air source for your fuel tank vent? siphon break builders exempt.

Hi there Jim. I just ordered my 14A empennage at Oshkosh! I live near New Liberty, Iowa, which is about an hour and a half from you. I am excited to have a fellow 14 builder close to me. I would enjoy seeing your project sometime. If interested give me a call sometime at 563-370-3377.

Small world! I?m in West Des Moines. I got to meet Rick at OSH. Think I may have been one of the first to congratulate him on ordering his empennage. I build the empennage & wings at Synergy Air in Newnan and am now (much more slowly) working on the fuselage in my garage. Planning to get as much as I can done through the rest of the year then ship it down to Synergy in January when my vacation counter resets. If anyone?s going to be around Des Moines, definitely give me a shout.

Back