What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this an RV3 canopy & frame?

Aviacs

Inside dimesnions aprox. 65" long, 24-3/4", 14 to 14-1/2" deep after flange trim.

(edited): Hmmm, don't seem to have the code right for direct image from Nikon.)

DxencNG

OC9zC9k

http://img.gg/DxencNG

http://img.gg/OC9zC9k

smt

Last edited:
WELCOME to VAF.

I have not built an RV-3 but looking at both of your images, they appear to be for an RV-3 (or other small aircraft of similar size). They look similar to what would be used on an RV-4. Both images show items that are too SMALL to be RV-4.

Last edited:
Both images show items that are too SMALL to be RV-4.

Thanks, Gary & Dave -that was my impression as well.

I used to participate in Frederick/Chapt 524's RV forums around '90 - '92. Sometime before that our president had completed one of the first -3's. I have flown in the 4 & 6. Since those years i have lost all familiarity with RV's & as old age sets in, am working on a Sonerai2 that fits my budget better. A couple months ago I attended a machine shop auction. In one corner there was a jumble or airplane parts including for spam cans, & gear for Sonerai. At the time i did not know what the bulk of the parts were, but evidence suggests they might be most of an RV3 except the fuselage package. (no paperwork/plans/documentation whatsoever. Just a piled up jumble.)

Again, thank you!
smt

Last edited:
What happened to the RV-3 stuff?

Any prospective builder of that should become aware of the various service notes and bulletins.

Dave
RV-3B under construction

What happened to the RV-3 stuff?

It was all one lot. Most is sorted and stored.
After 2 months of delightful fantasy about completing it, i have realized that on SS, that proposition is not affordable to me. (Or, continuing to run jobs through my shop to fund it, completion could be about the same time as my demise). Engine + fuselage + some completion items for the RV3, not to mention instruments/avionics, would cost the same as a couple more or even 3 complete flying Sonerai 2's. :(

S2 here needs a new canopy due to my height compared to original builder. Plus cracks in original. At one point i was going to section it, put a center bow, and add what i've been told amounted to a "Malcomb hood" - higher (& wider) bubble right over the (rear) pilot seat that in fighters when they were still razorback designs, allowed more rearward vision.

That notion has been abandoned based both on the cost/value of canopies these days as well as potential aerodynamic unknowns. Now the intention is to sell this one to help finance a purpose built canopy for the S-2. I mention the following just so as not to be disingenuous: It is advertised on C-list, but wanted to make sure it really is an RV3 before posting in the classifieds here. Price on C-list is a little higher than i expect. lets leave it at that until posted here. I'm not willing to ship a canopy due to different perceptions of condition, value of crating, etc, etc.

I certainly appreciate the help!
smt

Last edited:
Back