What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Fuel Sender testing

scorwin

I've looked far and wide to find a good video or anything describing how to test the fuel sender's movements while inside the tank. I've bent the sender to what Vans specifies, but given that others have done that, and still run into issues, I'd like to know now prior to pro-sealing the sender in the tank.

Edit: QB Wings.

Video >>> description

Thanks

Last edited:
I electrically checked it prior to screwing it in. I was more worried it didn't bang on the side of the tank. I remember fitting the arm for the float before putting on the baffle so I could see what it was doing.

Before closing the tank

I installed the sender just before closing the tank. I swung the arm through it's full travel and adjusted until there was no interference clearing from skin to skin.
I did not do any electrical checks. Hopefully that will go well once everything is tied together.

We used a scope camera to adjust. The instructions get you close but I would say we made as many as 10 small adjustments fist tank and maybe 5 adjustments second tank - install, inserting scope, take note, remove, adjust... After getting it centered between vent and rib we then checked resistance for a sanity check and all was good.

I believe we initially made adjustments with the large seal, found it was not recommended, then adjusted without seal.

Curious, from another discussion, where you able to adjust to get full travel across the resistor coil?
What model RV?

Building RV-10

Like most things, I was making it harder than it needed to be. Put multimeter on sender. Red on the screw. Black on the plate. Move float from one direction to the other. Read values. I had ~ 30 to 255ish.

Called Vans to see how to measure to see if the float moves freely while in the tank (since its all closed up). Simple enough. Take put float in, gravity will make it fall to the bottom (or top if its upside down on the bench). Use multimeter.

Flip tank over. The float will again fall. Repeat measurement.

Hopefully nothing blocks movement and get similar results

Back