What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First oil fill for new O-320

Didn?t see this specific question answered anywhere so thought I?d ask: my new Lycoming O-320 arrived a couple of months ago intentionally WITHOUT preservative, as I planned a pretty quick install. Now I want to get it filled with break in oil but I want to have critical plumbing done first, so I don?t lose oil unnecessarily later on. I think I only need to have the oil cooler installed and plumbed to fill the engine with oil. I?d appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks.

Maybe have oil filter on as well. Good time to put in quick drain if you plan to have one. I hardly see engines with one NOT installed.

You can fill anytime you want. The oil won't go any higher than the top of the pan. Gravity prevents it from going out any opening higher than that. Oil filter and hoses need not be on until you begin to crank it.

The oil in the pan won't touch any critical parts, so if you goal is corrossion prevention, don't bother.

Larry

Back