What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kitlog question

bob888

Well Known Member
I have been using Kitlog Pro for the past 5 years and now need to transfer it from a Windows 7 to a Windows 10 computer. I can't seem to get it to work on the Windows 10 system and wonder if it is even compatible with the newer operating system. The support contact for the program seems to be defunct. If anyone has solved this issue, please let me know how you did it; maybe via PM.

Kitlog Pro does work under Windows 10. Just sent you a PM with some suggestions on how to make it work.

I've been using it under Windows 7 for a while. It seems to work fine. I don't remember doing any special configuration to get it to work though.

I have had it working under an upgrade from Windows 8.1 and also an early install of Windows 10, both of which have been continually updated. But I just got my new Surface Pro with a fresh install of the latest Windows 10 and Kitlog will not start at all. I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually, but it's a bit frustrating.

Had the same problem with windows 10. The following fiexed me up:

Here are the instructions that Matt provided that fixed my issues:

Try this:

1) Use Windows 10 Apps & Features to Uninstall the .NET1.1 installation.

2) Reboot your computer.

3) Download this .NET deep cleaning utility. Be sure to select the ".NET Framework 1.1" option pull down under "Product to cleanup".

http://www.kitlog.com/dls/DotNETCleanupTool.exe

4) Reboot your computer.

5) Start Kitlog.

6) If/when prompted to download and install .NET 3.5 (2.0): Accept and let it do the install.

7) Successfully start Kitlog now.

Amazing. The crash I was getting was in ntdll.dll, nothing to do with .NET, but this fixed it. And why is Microsoft still bundling a down-level .NET with Windows? (rhetorical question) Matt should have those instructions on the downloads page.

I had a kitlog fumble 2/3s of the way through the build and once I got it going again I took the advice of some on this site; I backed up every entry to hard copy just in case kitlog fumbled again. I suspect when I tackle the next project, I will use something other than kitlog and again I will back up to hard copy every entry.

One advantage to Kitlog Pro is the ability to upload your log to their internet hosting site. By doing that, you are creating a backup of your local kitlog database. Then if your local kitlog fails, you can always print out your on-line version of your log.

Also, I personally back up the kitlog database file to my network server. That way, if my computer or HD completely fails for some reason, I install the kitlog program on a replacement and then copy the database file to the new computer and be back in business with the original data intact.

I had a kitlog fumble 2/3s of the way through the build and once I got it going again I took the advice of some on this site; I backed up every entry to hard copy just in case kitlog fumbled again. I suspect when I tackle the next project, I will use something other than kitlog and again I will back up to hard copy every entry.

The thud that the hardcopy makes when you drop it on the desk in front of FSDO will make getting your Repairman easier. :D

Mine was three 5" binders, which overwhelmed my inspector.

bob

Thanks!

Had the same problem with windows 10. The following fiexed me up:

Here are the instructions that Matt provided that fixed my issues:

Try this:

1) Use Windows 10 Apps & Features to Uninstall the .NET1.1 installation.

2) Reboot your computer.

3) Download this .NET deep cleaning utility. Be sure to select the ".NET Framework 1.1" option pull down under "Product to cleanup".

http://www.kitlog.com/dls/DotNETCleanupTool.exe

4) Reboot your computer.

5) Start Kitlog.

6) If/when prompted to download and install .NET 3.5 (2.0): Accept and let it do the install.

7) Successfully start Kitlog now.

Yay! Thanks so much for posting this. I thought my build log was a goner. These instructions fixed my problem.

Doug
RV-7
Finishing kit

The thud that the hardcopy makes when you drop it on the desk in front of FSDO will make getting your Repairman easier. :D

Mine was three 5" binders, which overwhelmed my inspector.

bob

Nice!

Mine should make a good thud when the time arrives ;- )

I have a different issue that I am wondering if anyone else has seen. Periodically I "print" a pdf copy using the option on Kitlog. Then I make a backup of my database.

Since my last successful conversion back on 9/12/15, my Kitlog will no longer convert my build to a pdf file. I have been in contact with Matt and still have not gotten it fixed. We thought that there might be a corrupt entry but I tried to print several smaller date ranges and even loaded the saved database from 2015 and it will not convert to a pdf either.

I get an error that states "An unhandled exception has occurred in your application".

I sent a copy of my database to Matt and he successfully converted it. This is a stop gap solution and would like to avoid bothering Matt every six months.

I have one computer on Windows 7 and one on 10. Same problem with both. They are both pulling from the same database file on a NAS server.

Kitlog PDF print problem

I have a different issue that I am wondering if anyone else has seen. Periodically I "print" a pdf copy using the option on Kitlog. Then I make a backup of my database.

Since my last successful conversion back on 9/12/15, my Kitlog will no longer convert my build to a pdf file. I have been in contact with Matt and still have not gotten it fixed. We thought that there might be a corrupt entry but I tried to print several smaller date ranges and even loaded the saved database from 2015 and it will not convert to a pdf either.

I get an error that states "An unhandled exception has occurred in your application".

I sent a copy of my database to Matt and he successfully converted it. This is a stop gap solution and would like to avoid bothering Matt every six months.

I have one computer on Windows 7 and one on 10. Same problem with both. They are both pulling from the same database file on a NAS server.

Paul,

I have that problem as well. My solution is to print it as Standard (as opposed to PDF). Then, in your Standard report, select Print and in your Printer selection drop down menu, select Microsoft Print to PDF.

Doug

Back