What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backup Alternator Bolt Removal

Tom Gan

Need Some Tribal knowledge regarding the best way to access the bottom nut that faces the oil filter on a B&C (SD20) vacuum pad backup alternator.

Searched the posts and have not seen anything about this.

I have a LYC O320-D2A with a ECI oil filter angle adapter and extension. The Backup Alternator has shorted and needs to be replaced. The last bolt is in a restricted space.

Between the oil filter adapter body and the alternator flange I can get my hand in there and with my finger touch the studs and nut. With that said I am hoping that I could fabricate a custom made wrench so that I don't have to remove any other components to get that last nut out.

I also considered removing the oil filter angle adapter but there is also one bolt that is very restricted by the B&C Alternator body. Catch 22?

Has anyone done this and if so what route did you take? I?m not initially in favor of removing parts unless that is the only way to do it.

Best outcome is if someone on the forum has done this and has a custom wrench they could dimension and take a picture for me. I also will have to figure out how to torque that bolt with the replacement moving forward also.

Regardless, if anyone has done this I would appreciate what the final outcome was. At this point I have removed the oil filter and am considering options.:(

Thanks.

They make a special vacuum pump wrench that should do the trick. I have also used a flat screw driver on the edge of a flat on the nut with a tap from a hammer to break it loose.

B&C SD-20 Special adapter

Hi Tom

When I installed my SD-20 on my RV-4 ( A first for an RV-4 for B&C they said)
they constructed a special spacer for the oil filter adapter ( 1.6'' ) and also provided a special spacer for the SD-20 ( 1 '' ) with an extended shear coupling for the SD-20.

This moved the SD-20 just far enough back to clear the filter adapter by about 1/16 '' .

This way I'm able to remove all the bolts if I need to remove the alternator.

I have pictures I could send you if you wish.

Good luck

Bruno
[email protected]

Back