What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Tube Repair?

Champ

Well Known Member
We had a flat from a pin hole that may have resulted from a pinch between rim halves on our Champ when we rotated the tires. I'm posting here because this could apply to RVs as well. Is it acceptable to do a patch on a tube and reuse it?

Couldn't find that this had been addressed previously on VAF.

If it were my airplane, I would patch the tube and fly the airplane. I would then order a new "AirStop" tube to have on hand. The next time I have that tire off, I would replace the tube with the new tube.

Years ago (30 to 40-years), I had good luck patching tubes. Last year, I tired to patch a bicycle tube with no luck. Not sure what kind of glue is now used but years ago it was very good and I felt like a patched tube was almost as good as a new tube. They bicycle tube was replaced as I was not willing to spend the time to try to find a better patch kit.

I patch bike tires all the time. Some of my bike tires have three or more patches without problems. You almost always know when you get a bad patch as it is curled on the edge. The way I do it is lightly sand with 120 grit abrasive. Then, coat the area with patch glue and let it dry. Last, I stick the patch on and work it to make sure there are no gaps or air bubbles under the patch. I then inflate the tube to make sure all is well. I often leave it inflated for several day to make sure no leaks.

Now aircraft tube patching makes me uncomfortable except in an emergency.

I've never patched an aircraft tube, but have patched bike tubes many times. I no longer do bike tube patches (unless I am out on the road) because I ride fast enough that a blow-out on the front can be really bad - I don't heal as fast as I used to!

The funny thing is - I have had aircraft flats before, and it has never been a big deal to keep control. A front flat on a bike at 40 mph going down a mountain highway....don't even want to think about it!

Maybe I should think about patching aircraft tubes? I guess I would if I was away from home with a flat and didn't have a spare.....

I replaced the tube on my only flat so far. But if someday, the spare tube I am now carrying in the supplies bag in the plane, comes out of the plastic bag with rot or cracks in it. I would buy a patch kit instead.

My flat turned out to be a worn-through spot about the size of a BB. The tube itself otherwise seemed fine. I bought my plane with about 135 hours on it. But the tires were in terrible shape. Tread-less on one side of each. I remember thinking I am never going to be comfortable with potential flats going forward because the life of the tires was so short. Well, I also replaced both tires after that repair and several hundred hours later I still have a lot of tread left and the inside and outside edges of the tires have equal tread. I feel a little better about them now.

Back