What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtips and FlyLEDs

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
New VAF advertiser, product looks sharp. :)

Website dropdown menu for RV model selection says for RV-4 and -6 "you have the mod."

Guess I live under a rock over here -- what mod??

I'd like to fit these to my flying 6A as well as consider them for the -10. "What is this 'mod' you speak of for the 6?"

-Stormy

RE: Wingtips and FlyLED's

The original wingtips that Van's supplied for RV4 and RV6 and early RV8 aircraft had the Nav and Strobe light installed external to the wing tip.

The link below is for a kit that can be used modify the old style 4/6/8 wingtips for installing the Nav/Strobe and even landing light under a lens.

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/other.htm

I think Van's sold or sells a kit similar to the RMD kit.

The newer style wingtips are mfg. from the getgo with the recess in the leading edge of the wingtip with a plexiglass lens cover.

The new implementation looks more aerodynamic but I recall that someone calculated the external nav/strobe light only incurred a drag penalty of about 0.4 kts. I recently looked at a turbo prop powered Lancair Evolution (350 mph airplane) on the ramp and the nav/strobe lights were mounted out in the breeze external on the end of the wingtip.

Hi Bill

Thanks for the compliment!

'The mod' is a kit that Vans had listed as LN CLEAR LENS KIT that modified the wingtips to create a light bay that looks like the later RV models.

They don't sell the kit anymore, and apparently they have very limited stock of the few parts required.
I'm hoping to obtain some more of the lenses, while the metalwork required should be easy enough for you airframe experts to create for yourselves!

I've asked Vans if I can share the kit instructions. There is a post here somewhere with pictures, which I'll link to when I find it again!

The option to buy this particular kit on our website has been removed for the moment, but we hope to be ready to go within a few weeks. The PCBs just arrived from manufacture today.

GTG

I have the original Van's clear lens kit installed on my wintgtips, so I guess I'd be good to go here.

Great. That will save you some time and nervous moments with a dremel!
I'll let you know when the kit is ready to order.

Back