What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propellers

colinr

I'm New Here
Hi Folks
I need to pick some brains on propellers.
What we have now is an RV6 with an empty weight of 1001lbs
160hp 0320 with about 200hr since rebuild.
Prop is a 70X68 wooden made by Chris Lodge
Performance under ISA conditions at sea level
Max static RPM 2650 rising to the limit on T/O
cruise with 2450 RPM set is 110kts (125mph) at 2000ft
Rate of climb From Sea level to 2000ft under ISA conditions is 800ft/min at MTOW.
It would seem that the prop is too fine but as the a/c does not get off the ground particularly well I dont know.
Does anyone have any suggestions
Thanks
CR

Sounds like you have a nice super climb prop. While you can't directly compare pitch numbers between prop makers, with the correct prop you should meet Van'' cruise numbers.

At 8,000' DA you should be able to run wide open, leaned fir best power, and have your RPM settle in at the red line, which should be 75% power +/-.

Email Craig Catto for performance numbers for your aircraft, he is the gold standard for composite (wood) props.

Prop diameter sounds too small to me as well as not enough pitch, we have a CS prop on ours and would never go back to a fixed one, have flown two of these, one with a Sensenich and the other a wooden 72/78 which goes ok one it gets to 80kts odd but accelerates very slowly, neither can do a steep approach without the speed running away either.

That prop seems WAY under pitched. 2650 static seem too fine, even for a climb prop, which explains your poor climb and cruise numbers.

My 6A w/O-320 is 1100#'s and gets 1400 FPM and 160+ MIAS at 2500 (@ low altitudes) with a FP Catto. My static is around 2250+

Larry

Last edited:
Many thanks to all who replied.
I think I have come to the conclusion that the current prop is very under pitched and a prop change is required.
This side of the Atlantic Hercules Propellers are getting a very good name with RV flyers for bespoke props. Their prices seem very competitive when one discounts shipping and import tax. So I will probably go with them.
once again thanksfor the comments
Colin

Back