What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Towing a RV-6A with the new style wheel pants

markscogg

Well Known Member
Have been using a Bogart tow bar on the axle of a -6A and the old style wheel pants.
My Bogart bar is sized to fit several AN960-616 washes. (5/8 I think) on each side of the axle (AN6-60A)
Now installing new style wheel pants, so this won't work.
Are people are towing by the allen bolt instead of the axle? With a special bushing? 5/8 OD x 3/8 ID?

Last edited:
Yes, I use the Allen head cap screws as the attachment point for the tow bar. I used this point on the older style nose wheel pants attachment as well as the latest itteration of the pants attachment.

I did use longer threaded cap bolts with three additional washers (each side) to give the tow bar more "bolt length" to slip over. This was to mitigate the possibility of the tow bar from slipping off the bolts and damaging the fiberglass. Just be sure that the threaded length does not pass completely through the nose wheel fork and contact the tire sidewall.

As Noel mentioned, the allen bolts are the designed/prefered tow point even with the old wheel pants.

It puts the tow bar attach point closer to the fork pivot point which helps a lot with control.

Thanks guys

This was a purchased plane.
I will switch to towing from the allen screw location.
Thanks

This was a purchased plane.
I will switch to towing from the allen screw location.
Thanks

This is what I do, and based on a discussion I saw here I purchased longer screws for this location and stacked several washers under each side. This gives the Bogart bar a more solid feel and helps to ensure that it won't slip off while pulling/pushing and damaging the wheel pant.

Back