- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2017, 01:40 PM

Default The end of the story...

The new replacement Dynon radio had same symptoms as my Dynon radio. Power low in midrange and high SWR. Pulled Dynon radio out and put in an old ICOM A-210 radio I have. Power meter showed higher power output but still high SWR and power higher and both ends of the frequency and lower in the middle just like the Dynon radio.

Bit the bullet and replaced my new Delta Pop antenna with a Comant antenna. I didnt want to do it because of having to drill new holes in my fuselage. SWRs with Comant antenna dropped from 2.7-3.0 before to 1.8-2.0 max SWR. Power went up in mid frequencies. Problem solved.

I dont know if the Delta Pop antenna is bad or if I just could not ever get a good ground on it. Tried everything.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 09-30-2017, 03:31 PM

Hi Thomas,

Great to hear a happy ending! Thanks for the update. Way to hang in there and nail it down!

I'm just a bit confused tho... Didn't you replace the antenna in post #9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvator51 View Post
...I built and put in a new cable and a Comant antenna today with same results on power. SWR 1.6 at low frequency goibgTo 2.2 at high frequency. 122 To 125 MHz was about 2 watts output again with higher watts output at both Low and high frequencies, which doesn't make sense to me.
Best regards,

VAF Supporter
Old 09-30-2017, 06:05 PM

Hey, Tommycat, Yes, but I didnt mount the Comant on the belly because I didnt want to drill new holes so I mounted it in the center of a sheet of aluminum and laid the sheet on the wing figuring that would work as a good ground plane. Evidently it didnt.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 09-30-2017, 06:54 PM

Default Talk about coincidence

Our Dynon com radio worked flawlessly for 95 hours and then on the way to TX the transmissions became unreadable by the controllers. Long story short, we were told to check for a bad ground or coax. We sent the unit back to Dynon and were told the SV525 bench checked out perfect. Since we purchased the radio from Stein, I contacted him for further advice. Chris (at Stein Aviation) said to check the cable by connecting it to a second radio and see what happens. I hooked up my handheld today, flew 20 miles from the airport and the tower received me 5X5. We Will have our unit back Monday and I Will reinstall it with paint sanded off of the sub panel and a ground wire attached to check it out. Stein said if it still doesn't work, he will send a new radio to see if the problem is corrected. I Will report back on Tuesday to let you all know the outcome. Here's hoping.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:24 PM

We'll, MJ and I reinstalled the 525 module and it looks like everything is back to normal. We still have to flight test it but I think it will be ok. Thanks to Dynon, Stein, Chris and Nathan for all of the great advice.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmanrog View Post
We'll, MJ and I reinstalled the 525 module and it looks like everything is back to normal. We still have to flight test it but I think it will be ok. Thanks to Dynon, Stein, Chris and Nathan for all of the great advice.
Well, did Stein change or fix anything? Or did it check out OK?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 PM

Since we haven't flight tested yet, i don't if the returned unit is 100 percent. If it isn't up to par, Stein said he will replace the Dynon radio under warranty. I Will give a final report when the weather let's us get up in the air to make a final assessment.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Did a flight test today and everything is working 5X5. I do really like this radio because of all of the shortcuts and clarity. Cheers to Dynon and Stein.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:21 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmanrog View Post
Did a flight test today and everything is working 5X5. I do really like this radio because of all of the shortcuts and clarity. Cheers to Dynon and Stein.
Same question as earlier....

Well, did Stein change or fix anything? Or did it check out OK?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 10-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Stein never saw the unit. I sent it back directly to Dynon. Stein said that since I purchased it from him, he would stand behind the warranty if necessary.