What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Primer?

JDRose

I'm New Here
I'm brand new here; and I heard there was a lot of information (and opinions) regarding corrosion proofing the inside of your RV. I'm having difficulty locating such threads.
I understand that the quick build kits are sprayed internally with some kind of corrosion protection; although it may not be the best corrosion protection. I may go the quick build route....but would like to apply some protection to the tail as I build.
Can you point a newbie in the right direction? :)

Thanks,
Jim

Here's why I decided to prime with the Sherwin Williams primer that Van's uses.
1. I ordered QB wings. Since Van's uses this on part of my build, decided it should be good enough for all the build.
2. Can get it at local SW paint store (in stock)
3. Etching CAN BE a time consuming process. You have 3 choices:
a) Mechanical etching - i.e., scuff all the parts by hand
b) Chemical etching - i.e., separate chemical to etch the parts so you don't have to scuff by hand, but still an added process.
c) Self Etching - Use a primer that does it for you. No added steps.

I have been using SW primer (self etching) successfully by simply washing all parts thoroughly with Acetone, then spray. That's it!!! Greatly simplifies process and primer sticks great and it very "tough" once cured (about 24 hours).

P60G2

When you finish your popcorn, if you still need info on SW P60G2, feel free to e-mail. I used it on the entire inside.

Back