What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to decide on the ideal RV?

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I guess while flying for a living for the past 25 years and raising young kids etc. I have never seriously considered owning an airplane in the past. I just never saw myself of going flying around the local area, at 110kts and really not able to get anywhere of great distance. I always thought that any use I would have for an airplane is to "go somewhere and fast" and since that would require much more expensive airplane I never thought about it seriously. After a recent trip with a fellow pilot who owns an RV I was quite surprised by the performance and range of his airplane. To say I was intrigued is an understatement. After browsing the Vans site and this forum I now have a vision of how owning an airplane could be both fun and practical in my lifestyle.

As I browsed the Vans site my first reaction was the RV 10, however, after looking at the increased cost not only of the build but operating costs as well and also it would only be myself and my wife I turned my attention to the RV 9A or 7A. As far as an engine goes I was thinking the 160 hp o-320, fixed pitch would be the best option because it very popular and both repair or parts easier.

How I envision using an airplane from my home near Vancouver:

- Local flights on my days off for fun ( not a huge aerobatic guy)
- Getting away for weekends golfing WA or OR (2 small golf bags and overnight bag)
- Maybe a yearly trip to Reno Air Races
- Taking it down to Palm Springs for the winter where we will snowbird after retirement (cant imagine waking up everyday to great flying weather)
- From PSP going to PHX, LAS etc.
- I would prefer a tricycle gear and who knows my kids could use it to get their licenses.

Again I think for myself I am looking at either a 7A or 9A however, any advice from current RV owners would be awesome.

RV14 for the room, if I had the money. The other two place side by sides, are a bit on the tight side. But they do work. Constant speed prop, because I can't stand fixed. I do live in a 4600' msl area.

L.Adamson --- former RV6A, 180HP, Hartzell C/S

Great airplanes

As you pointed out the RV's are great all around airplanes. Not to mention they are very responsive.

If aerobatics isn't your thing then I would suggest the RV-9A. With the 320 and FP prop it might be your best bet. I have flown the factory RV-9A with a 320 with a CS prop and it performed great. Keep in mind that was at close to sea level conditions during the cold time of year.

I fly an RV-7A with an IO-360 CS prop. However I live in the Tucson AZ with FE of 2600'. It is also hot most of the year and sometimes scorching. So our DA is rather high. The 360 CS handles the conditions well.

Hope some RV-9A drivers with chime in on this thread.

Any

Pick any RV and life is better.

I have a 9a, and flown everywhere I can think of. Love it, wife loves it. Opens up a wonderful new world.

7,8,9 and 10 drivers all swear theirs is the pride of the fleet. I know some inexpensive 6's that have provided their owners a ton of smiles too.

Find some in your area, get some free rides and all will be good with the world.

Thanks for the info so far. As far as a prop selection I just assumed a fixed pitch, however, I am also curious on the pros and cons of fixed pitch or constant speed. Obviously flew both many years ago (C-172, C185) but was wondering if the weight, and cost of constant speed is that beneficial in a RV.

Fixed pitch

I am flying a fixed pitch three bladed Cato at KFLY, field elevation 6800 ft. DA is routinely 8000 ft or more. I climb out at about 1200 fpm. I think all of the RV's have great performance on fixed pitch props. The CS props will give a bit better performance, I guess you have to decide if the extra is worth it to you. I agree with a couple of other folks here, get some rides in different RV's. Nothing like flying them to tell what you like.

Cheers

I went through the same angst a while back. What I finally decided was that the differences between the Van's models is such a tiny fraction of the difference between any RV and anything else I would be able to afford to fly... it really didn't matter!

Yes, there are definite decision makers if aerobatic vs non-aerobatic, or tandem vs side-by-side are deal makers/breakers. I had pretty much decided on an RV-9A, O-320, FP prop. Then I found a good deal on an RV-7A kit... which I'm now completing as a taildragger instead.

Again... SO far ahead of flying a 30-40-50 year old, gas-guzzling 100-140 kt plane, any of them are good. I'm giving up baggage space and gaining - well, everything else! I still haven't decided on the prop issue though. :)

For a 2 seat economical XC plane, the 9A is hard to beat. I've had mine for about a year and a half and I still get a grin every time I open the hanger door. The one I'm flying has a 160 hp FP prop and is day night VFR equipped and I'm pleased. I routinely see 140-145 kts GS @6 gph. That is hard to beat.

The one I'm building will have 185 hp, CS prop and will be IFR equipped.

I love taking non RV pilots up for a demo ride. There is nothing about the plane that doesn't make them smile. Take offs and landings are delightful, even in cross winds, stalls are benign, handing is honest. The biggest grin is mine when we get back to the pump and fill up. They're usually surprised at how little fuel it takes considering how far we went.

Build the plane YOU want. The 9 is an XC machine - stable but responsive. If you want aerobatics build a 7 or 14. There isn't a bad RV out there so what ever choice you make its going to be a good one.

Welcome to the forum. If you type "RV-9A RV-7A" or "RV-9 RV-7" into the search engine you will get many threads, many of which are titled something along the lines of "RV-9 or RV-7?" This should provide you with plenty of reading. Then you should do what others have suggested above: try to find rides in both. In short, each do a few things the other can't do and so you'll need to decide which fits your mission just a bit better. Hope this helps, and good luck.

What does the missus say?

Seriously, have you spoken with your wife yet?

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I'd decided 9A was the way to go. The "mission" was all about flying cross country with us living in Indiana, my family in Florida, and most of my wife's family in Texas. By the time the plane is finished, my daughter will be in college and my son will be close to going off to college. (Though, if I don't pick up the pace, they'll both be married with kids. :eek:) I envisioned this as our empty-nester transportation.

Alas, when my wife found out it only had 2 seats, she, in no uncertain terms, informed me we needed 4. <sigh>

But, since she is actively involved in the build, who was I to argue. :D

Welcome to Vans Air Force.

Welcome

Welcome Dennis.
+1 on involving the wife. Find a local airport with one of each and sit in them with hour wife. You would be surprised how much it matters. If the wife ain't happy...you know the rest.

Everyone has given you good advice.

If you are going to build, the default engine for the -7 is the 180 HP -360 and for the -9 it is the 160 HP -320.

FP vs. CS is another issue. The -9 climbs so well with a small engine and FP cruise prop that I don't see a need for a CS prop. The -7 can use the CS prop to help with acro and formation work

After more than 550 hours in my -9, 200 with a 135 hp engine and 350 with a 180+ hp engine the only time I've ever wished for a CS prop was while flying formation and lead just chops the power and I go sailing on by.

Both are great airplanes and you can't go wrong with either one. Except for that nosewheel thing!

Last edited:
Having gone through this exact thought process only a few months ago the most important thing is to get what suits you and your wife/family. I went on 1 flight in my friends RV7, the first role in his tail dragger got me hooked. Never looked at any other model because I wanted a side-by-side, tail dragger, that I could do aerobatics in. Then smaller details like a slider vs. pop up, 320 vs. 360' carbureted vs. injected, quick build vs. not, fix pitch vs. CS and if fixed metal or wood, 3 or 2 blades..... You can sort of drive yourself crazy trying to find just the right combination. But you sound like you have thought through it and are getting close to your decision. My personal pick was O-360 slider with a wood 2 blade fixed pitch blended prop which would give me a good mix of performance. Easy to maintain, costs much less and gives me the budget to buy a new panel in my plane instead of a new CS prop that may give me a few more knots.

Whatever you decide on I think you will be happy that you chose an RV. A lot great folks in this community with a wealth of knowledge that refer to an RV grin once you buy an RV. After buying my RV, I quickly realized that the grin was due to the pride :D

Golf Clubs???

You will be happy with whatever model RV you chose. I would not trade my -9A for a 7. However, I don't believe you can get a set of golf clubs in any of the side by side models unless you leave the pax at home and remove the pax seat. The driver is just too long. Has anyone out there carried clubs without removing the pax seat or the rear bulkhead?

If your wife is on board with buying or building, but probably wont be flying often with you, get what you want. If she is going to be a regular in the right seat, don't ever let her see the -10 unless you are prepared to go down that road. I have lost count of how many -7 and -9 drivers have stopped by my hangar with their wives to look at my -10, only to have the wife tell them that is what they need. They love the 4 seats and baggage space; room to bring the dog, friends, etc. Probably much the same can be said about the -14.

Jim Berry
RV-10

You will be happy with whatever model RV you chose. I would not trade my -9A for a 7. However, I don't believe you can get a set of golf clubs in any of the side by side models unless you leave the pax at home and remove the pax seat. The driver is just too long. Has anyone out there carried clubs without removing the pax seat or the rear bulkhead?

There have been several that have modified the area behind the baggage bulkhead to hold golf clubs. Not the bags, but the clubs themselves. They either used a shelf and/or the golf club tubes. The door to that area when closed kept the golf clubs in place.

Just do a search for golf clubs here in the forums.

Bob

If you are considering buying rather than building, include the 6A in your list as well; they are very attractively priced on the used market relative to 7's with very few disadvantages (slightly lower gross weight, very slightly higher stall speed). I can't really speak with regard to the 9A, but with the 7 or 6 I would go with 180 hp; minimal difference in cost, greater margins, especially when heavy and high, and if you want to throttle back to 0-320 power levels, you'll burn the same fuel. Basically you can have your cake and eat it too.

Good luck with your search and decisions; you'll never regret going RV!

Gerry

Thanks for the information about the RV6. From what I have been able to read my understanding is the RV6 is the same size inside as the RV7 and RV9, am I correct? Other than the 200lb lower gross weight are there any other drawbacks to the older RV 6 compared to a RV7 or 9? When I saw you were from the Jaw it brought back many memories of ripping around the area in the CT-114 Tutor. Part of the reason I am thinking of an RV is to get back to some fun flying!

Dennis:)

Gerry

Other than the 200lb lower gross weight are there any other drawbacks to the older RV 6 compared to a RV7 or 9?

The early sixes were not pre punched, thus there can be a lot of difference in quality of construction.

As to the 9-----not really the same plane as the 6/7. Different airfoil, different mission.

Gerry

Thanks for the information about the RV6. From what I have been able to read my understanding is the RV6 is the same size inside as the RV7 and RV9, am I correct? Other than the 200lb lower gross weight are there any other drawbacks to the older RV 6 compared to a RV7 or 9? When I saw you were from the Jaw it brought back many memories of ripping around the area in the CT-114 Tutor. Part of the reason I am thinking of an RV is to get back to some fun flying!

Dennis:)

The seat pan of the 7 can be built lower than on the 6, so it can provide a little extra headroom; otherwise they have the same interior dimensions. Having said that, though, I've sat in a few 7's and never noticed any extra room. I'm 6'3 myself, and the Antisplat "almost an RV-14" mod makes a MUCH bigger difference than whether the plane is a 6 or a 7. The extra gross weight allowance is nice, but you can legally set a higher gross on a 6. There is a formula that Transport uses which involves wing area, flap area, and weight to determine if it's acceptable, and the numbers for the 6 work up to 1800 lbs or so; my plane was originally registered in the US with an 1800 lb gross and I was able to successfully keep that when I imported it. Others have had more difficulty with that. The two designs have a very different wing spar structure as well (major can of worms!).

As Mike notes, there can be a bigger variation in build quality on 6's than on the later kits, but that just means getting a thorough pre-buy inspection (which you should do anyway).

Didn't realize you were ex-RCAF! My son is instructing on the Harvard out at 15 Wing now, and my hangar partner is a recent retiree after 20 years on the Tutor, Hornet, and Hawk including finishing his career with the Snowbirds. He's a Westjet guy now. Lots of connections to the Base! Good luck with your search, and drop in if you're back in MJ; could probably hook you up with a flight:)

Gerry, thanks for all the info. At this point I think I may be leaning toward a 7 or 9. Just curious if I do find one that needs to be inspected how would I go about that process? Are there specific Homebuilt inspection guys or just any AME? How about the import process? I've done it with boats and cars but not airplanes. Any advice would be welcome.
I was at the "Big 2" from 92-94 so I may know your hanger mate.

Dennis
I spent a ridiculous amount of time deciding between a 7, 9, 12, and 14.
If you are a particular big guy or plan on routinely having big folks in the other seat, consider the 14, otherwise rule it out early on. Other than increased fuel capacity and ease of build, I don't think it offers any substantial advantage over the 7 or 9. If you are worried about losing your medical, want an easier build, or want the best view of all the side-by-side RVs out of the cockpit, consider the 12, otherwise rule it out. So between the 7 and 9, that's fairly easy. If you think you want to fly upside down, it has to be the 7. Other than that, I'd say go with a 9, with the possible exception that the 7 might have more range since the fuel tanks are bigger. That issue can be remedied by an extended range tank mod in the 9. If you want tandem seating then the other RVs not mentioned here will do. Just my opinion after years of contemplation.

Back