What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan IOX370 engine and 4in1 exhaust

IronDawg

Is anyone using the AWI 4in1 exhaust with the Titan IOX370 and ECI cold air sump? I should have gotten the superior sump, but I am having to decide between changing it out or major cowl modification.

Thanks,
Jeff

I?m not sure about using it with the ECI cold air intake, but the AWI 4 into 1 pipe does work well with the superior cold air intake.

I was struggling with the same decision. I went with the Vetter man 4 pipe exhaust instead and it fits great with the ECI cold air sump.

I was struggling with the same decision. I went with the Vetter man 4 pipe exhaust instead and it fits great with the ECI cold air sump.

I am also considering Vetterman. Are you flying yet? Are you happy with the performance?

I called Clint to see if he had a 4 into 1, or 2 for the ECI sump and he had only a 4 into 4. Beautiful, fit perfect, sounds great. Works great except for making smoke. Evidently, there’s just not enough heat with just one exhaust per pipe. I’ve moved the injectors, upped the amount of oil, ran higher RPM’s, anything I could think of and they make OK smoke, but photographs show conclusively that those with 4 into 1, or 2 make far better smoke.
No big deal unless your purpose is for public display with others. Mine is and they just aren’t as good for that. Decided the only way to “maybe” fix it is to put 2 more injectors into the other 2 pipes. Not worth the hassle at this point.

When my ECI engine trashed itself internally at 900 hours I opted to save money by using my ECI sump on my new Superior engine that meant I wouldn’t have to redo snorkel, etc. Would I rather have the Superior sump that would work with different exhausts. Yes. Will I spend money to change sumps. And the exhaust.

Absolutely not.

Just my experience with the 4 into 4. Still a great product, but like everything else, a compromise. Reminds me of boating.

Last edited:
That?s interesting about the smoke. Do you currently have one injector in each pipe and it?s not satisfactory?

I?ve been considering smoke as one of my next upgrades so it would be good to know if there is a way to get decent smoke. I?m not using my airplane the same as you use yours so my needs are probably different. Is there a picture somewhere that would show what kind of smoke you are able to get?

That?s interesting about the smoke. Do you currently have one injector in each pipe and it?s not satisfactory?

I?ve been considering smoke as one of my next upgrades so it would be good to know if there is a way to get decent smoke. I?m not using my airplane the same as you use yours so my needs are probably different. Is there a picture somewhere that would show what kind of smoke you are able to get?

I have injectors in number 3 and 4 pipes, both about 4 to 5 inches from cylinder. I?ve moved them closer to the cylinder and tried them about a foot from the exhaust end. Closer to hot end is better. I get ok smoke and when by myself everyone says it looks good, but with the others in my group with exact smoke setup mine is noticeably weaker.

Very helpful. Thanks for the discussion. I am torn between Vetterman and AWI. AWI would be preferable for both performance and smoke. But AWI will require some modifications to the lower cowl. If I think its gonna look dumb, I'll just settle for the Vettermans and not worry about smoke. I'll post a picture here if I get the 4in1.

Jeff

Back