What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting ready to track!

Brantel

Well Known Member
Received my Micro-Trak RTG last week. Got my Kate J-Pole. Taking the test on the 28th.

Hope to be tracking in a few weeks.....

Should have done this a long time ago!

Sure wish there was a faster way to get legal!

I took and passed the test last month (100%!). Don't know how anyone could fail, given that all of the answers are available to study. :)
I've got the same J-Pole antenna and am ready to buy the MT RTG and start playing with it (no plane yet).

Testing completed...barely made it...35/35. :p

Should have a call sign soon. :D

Taking General test next month. No reason to other than to just do it.

Last edited:
Testing completed...barely made it...35/35. :p

Should have a call sign soon.

Taking General test next month. No reason to other than to just do it.

Congratulations. I hope to track you soon.

I ended up taking my Technician, General, and Amateur Extra license exams on the same evening. Surprisingly, I passed them all.:)

Even though only the Technician license is required for APRS, it's satisfying to have achieved a higher level than required.:D

Now, if the Morse Code requirement was still in place, that would be another story.:eek:

You can track me at "N77PB", however, at this stage it will only show me in my garage.:rolleyes:

I have had a tech plus license for 15 years or so and didn't think I would ever have a need for it other than 2 meter radio. In order to get a Tech plus I had to pass the code part. I'm glad glad they did away with that. Now i'm thinking I might have to get into tracking.

Where can I learn more about equipment needs and how this all works?

I've been a non-active Extra Class Ham for the past 15 years. Would sure like to know a bit about what equipment is necessary to make this work and perhaps some info on the overall process of getting the signal to a computer back home. Any links on this subject?

Jim Diehl #1976
RV-7A Phase 1- 8 hours down without a single squawk
Lock Haven, Pa.

APRS basics

I've been a non-active Extra Class Ham for the past 15 years. Would sure like to know a bit about what equipment is necessary to make this work and perhaps some info on the overall process of getting the signal to a computer back home. Any links on this subject?

Jim Diehl #1976
RV-7A Phase 1- 8 hours down without a single squawk
Lock Haven, Pa.

Jim, go to the APRS Tracking forum main page; read the first seven "sticky" threads and I think you'll learn everything you need to know. If you still have questions, just ask again in these forums.

Back