What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit S/N 140170 has arrived.

Mike H

Well Known Member
Picked up my kit today! It had one small fork blade hole in the end of one crate, but fortunately there does not appear to be any damage. I will get the inventory done in the next few days and work on building my EAA work benches.

I have decided to build the wings first. I am thinking building both wings at the same time would be a time saver. For those of you that have built the wings I have two questions.

Did you build both wings at the same time or not?

How many EAA work benches do you need to assemble two wings at the same time?

Thanks.

Wings and benches

Yes, I would recommend building both wings at the same time since you will be familiar with the step you are working on and not have to go back and rethink what you need to do. Also, if you do one first, you may hesitate starting over, thinking of all those countersink holes you need to put in the spar. :D

I have two EAA benches and also an 8' stationary bench. You can do it without the 8', but if you have the room, it is always nice to have extra space on a bench. Once you get the wing partially assembled, you will want to build wing stands to store them and move them around. Plenty of pics and interactions if you need them on this site.

Good luck and welcome to the group.

I built mine separately up to the fuel tanks. Once I reached the fuel tank, I started the other wing. I want to do the fuel tanks together because I will be getting help with those and want to maximize the time with the other builder.

So four EAA benches should do both wings at the same time? I guess I can use the extras at the hangar after the wings are done

Wings

I built both wings at the same time. I have twp EAA work benches. I built a rolling wing cradle for storage and also blocked the wheels when I wanted to build on the wings in the vertical position. One last thing, I made sure I could raise my tables and wing stand at will by about 6 inches. You will find it much easier on your back:)

ADDITIONAL: be sure to leave a 1 inch or more overhang all the way around your EAA tabletops. It will give you an area to clamp things down. You will need to clamp a lot if building by yourself.

Last edited:
Kits are unpacked and inventoried! After I get the Rans sold this weekend I can fab the benches, then the fun shall begin! I have wanted to build my own airplane for at least 18 years, and helping a friend build a -7 was fun, but I have been looking forward to building my own for too long! :D

I have two rolling EAA benches which are 6' long. I screwed them together while working on the wings, so I had a 12' long bench. I have no idea why you could not build both wings at the same time with my setup. setup the wing spars back-to-back on opposite sides of the bench. Counter sink all the holes. Put one spar aside and alternate tasks on each wing. Finish one section for the wing, then move to the other wing.

With that said, I did the same as Tom. built one wing up to fuel tanks, then the other. Now I do both sides at the same time. In fact, I did all the flaps and ailerons up to prime, then primed everything. Both fuel tanks are sitting there at the point where I need to put the rear baffle in.

I think that the EAA benches calls out for 5'. I like 6'. This allows the wing spar to sit on the two tables with some room to spare.

cheers
ken

1" LIp

The 1" lip is also a good idea. I didn't do it, but I may take off the tops of my tables and attach a larger top. The extra inch for clamping will come in helpful.

IMO the 1" lip is critical from step one on the wings. Not sure how you would hold the spar up right otherwise.

I am not sure about the EAA tables, but my tops are 3/4" thick strand board then a nice finished 3/4" plywood on top. I screwed the bottom strand board to the table, then screwed the smooth plywood to the strand board from below. I do have wheels, which are nice but not critical. You do need to have some way to level the tables. The wheels I have screw into the bottom of the legs, so I can adjust the table height.

If you don't make the 1" lip could you still use quick clamp type bar clamps or large C clamps to hold parts?

Part of the reason for the top being flush with the frame is to allow for bolting multiple tables together. I guess you could make spacers to allow the tables with lips to bolt together.

I don't see the reasoning behind bolting them together. It is easy enough to just move the tables end to end and shim the legs to level. This is what I do and I have never had a problem.

I appreciate all of the good suggestions for building the EAA work benches. I finished my benches and got the garage set up tonight. Tomorrow will be the first official day of the build. I ended up making the benches 6 feet long instead of 5 feet, and I also set the table top frame back 2 inches all the way around to provide a clamping surface. :D

Back