What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New guy with RV-14 questions

Mike H

Well Known Member
New guy here, have some questions regarding the -14.

I am an A&P, I/A, Private Pilot and have helped build a -7 and been around several other models, but just recently started to consider building a -14. I have not payed much attention to the development to the -14 over the years, but after seeing it at SNF the last few years and doing some research it looks like it may be the perfect next plane for me.

I have very little tail wheel time and if I build the -14 it will most likely be the A model. My biggest concearn is the durability of the landing gear, especially the nose gear. I would like to fly the airplane off of some local turf runways, some of which are not perfectly smooth and which I would not feel comfortable flying the other A models from, however it is not an issue with a C-172 or PA-28.

I know there is currently only one -14A flying, but given that the airplane appears to have the -10 nose and main gear what is the general consensus of operating this airplane off of other than perfect turf runways?

Thanks.

Welcome

Welcome to the good ship VAF.

I'm sure someone will chime in with some help but my opinion is by the time you have built the -14 you would be proficient in tail wheel operations after some training. Again, just my opinion but you will have a more versatile aircraft for your intended grass strip uses.

Of course I'm a little prejudice when it comes to tail draggers. :D :D

Mike, my -10 has the same basic nose gear with rubber donuts for suspension and works very well on turf. I land on grass often and it's failure mode is up, toward the engine. Several forced landings on here over the years and none folded under like the two seat, -6's and -7's.

A friend of mine is building one here (2J3) and the wings are done in Sandersville, Ga (O9J).

Best,

I have very little tail wheel time and if I build the -14 it will most likely be the A model.

I think you'd be just fine with a tailwheel. I had very little time in anything when I did my tailwheel transition in an RV-6, and I didn't have any trouble. The RVs are very docile.

Also, I noticed you're in Savannah. Nice to see someone else down here!

Thanks for the welcome! Pierre, that is good information regarding the -10 landing gear durability. Even though I fully intend to become tail wheel proficient and will have use of a -7 when it is done in the next year or so, I was also considering the -14A model for the added cross wind ability while traveling where there may not be an option of multiple runways. Does this sound logical?

Now I need to sell my Rans and order my kit. I am based at LHW. Most Saturdays I am either working on something that flies or flying the Rans or something else. We almost always fire up the grill and make lunch so if any of you are in the area stop by and grab a burger or a brat.

Mike, I'll be in Beaufort, S.C. from Saturday 'til Monday if you'd like to see my -10, just PM me your cell #. Mine's 478 494 3seven fife7.

Best,

Pierre, I would love to see the -10 sometime, but I have to do an annual inspection on a PA-28 Saturday, and I am not sure what Sunday is looking like right now. If you feel like making the short hop over from Frogmore International for luch on Saturady give me a call and I will make sure we throw on some extra grub. My cell # is 912 four eight four seven four three one.

Good to see you on here, Mike. Scott told me you had the -14 fever!

Pierre - Ray flew your plane down in February with your step son to finish up some items on my CI - what great service! I had just started my -10 and yours was the first -10 I had even seen up close and personal. Really enjoyed checking out your plane - thank you. I was shocked over the room in the cabin. I immediately knew I had chosen the right plane:D. Headed up to Ray's tomorrow AM.

Jon....I gots the fever really bad!....can't stop thinking about it....and my wallet started making moaning sounds!

If you want a taildragger -14 then build one!

The fear of crosswinds in a taildragger is way over blown. I never fear traveling do to possible crosswinds, I just simply fly the plane like I was taught, which should be the same as someone in an "A".

Let me put it this way, it typically takes someone ten hours to learn to flair and land a Cessna. It takes about the same amount of time to learn to land a taildragger. Once you figure it out you will wonder what the big deal was.

Trust me, tailwheel pilots are not super men/women. Just don't tell anyone isaid that.

Are they even going to do a taildragger -14? I think it would look stupid.

The -14 is designed to be an -A model and has the improved nosegear design of the -10. While some might object and the amount of redesign required to completion supports such objections, the -14 is more of a two place -10 than anything else.

Same airfoil, etc. A lot of the same features, etc.

The most "advanced" design of the bunch as it has built on all that come before.

As for flying it off grass. I'd do it all day long. But, like you said, there is only one flying so none of us really know what we are talking about but that doesn't stop us from offering opinions. YMMV.

Jon, you'd better call him first...I believe he'll be out of town.

Best,

Yup - made an early trip to catch him before he left.

Mike - the wallet does moan, but nothing to do about it. I use a similar technique that I use at the gas pump - swipe my debit card and don't look back:D

On a more serious note - I'm pay as I go - a big reason for SB. It seemed like I was bleeding $$ just prepping for the build. I could have saved a bit more, but I bought tools that I thought would make things easy(er) and efficient - glad I did. You won't have that newbie issue, so it's 'only' the big check to Vans.

Bill, I solo'd in less than 5 hours...maybe that makes me a "super man pilot":eek: Well probaly not.

I am not intimidated by flying tail wheel aircraft, I just dont have enough time in them to qualify for decent insurance rates, and have some concearns about landing in HIGH crosswinds.

I would not classify any of the places I want to land an RV as being "rough" terrain, but one of the fields claimed a -6A when the nose gear rolled up like a snail. Any of these fields would be fine in just about any tricycle GA airplane I can think of. If my mission was to truly land in rough terrain I would'nt be considering an RV, I would builod a super cub clone with big tires.

I know the tailwheel version looks alot nicer, but if the -14A model gear is sufficient for "bumpy" grass airfields, then it would probably be the most practical way for me to go.

Mike
Just order the tail and wing kit. At this point you have not committed to either version of aircraft. When you build the tail cone you will need the additional weldment for the tail wheel. It is quite possible that by the time you get that far along the factory tail wheel 14 will be flying and there may be more information.
I am firmly in the tailwheel camp, and have no problems with crosswinds, etc. I have some RV10 time and the nose gear is quite robust but having landed it on a rolling grass runway I would have preferred a tail wheel version (somebody please make a tail wheel RV10!)

Tom, that is a good thought! Does anyone know if the tailwheel version uses tapered main gear legs with sockets in the engine mount like the -7? If so could you instal provisions for both and have the option to configure either way?

And I just broke the news to the wife that her car will live outside for the next couple of years. She didn't care I was going to buy another airplane, but she was a little ticked off about loosing her parking space:D go figure!

Back