What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: Google Roller Coaster ..... Help ....

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: APRS Google Roller Coaster ..... Help ....

How to set up a pix like this with APRS data .... This info is probably in the archives but I have not been able to find it?????????

4gry81.jpg

By the way great pix on the front page Doug.

Last edited:
I'm gueeing that rollercoaster was done with the G3X data....it is incredibly easy to produce those pics from the system.

Paul, any link that shows how to do this? I saw you post the same data that Doug is posting with this google overlay.

Thanks,

RE: Near Steam gauge

I'm gueeing that rollercoaster was done with the G3X data....it is incredibly easy to produce those pics from the system.

Paul, thanks for the heads up ... but ... my GNS430W coupled with the older style Trio and Dynons makes my 2 year old panel near steam gauge style.....

I have noted that Sam has producted pix like this with his APRS ... so ... Sam, Radio Check !!!

assuming you have an APRS tracker in your airplane, you can make an image like the one shown using the GoogleEarth data.

First, find your flight using the following URL (substitute your N-number or APRS Call (depending on how your tracker is setup). (My tracker is set for "N125TH".)

http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/alltracks.cgi?call=N125TH&days=360

Click the "Google Earth Tour" for the track you want. If it does not automatically launch Google Earth, start the program manually and drag-n-drop the KML file onto Google Earth.

Now, you can zoom, pan, and rotate to get the view you want.

One last step - if you want to reduce the clutter and remove all of the labels, right-click on the track (under "places" in the left side panel). click "Properties". Click on the "Style, Color" tab. You will likely get a warning that not all placemarkers have the same style - go ahead and accept / override it.
Now, either set the Label scale to 0.0 or the opacity to 0%. This will hide all the text labels. You may also need to do the same with the Icons. You can play with color and fill as well.

ScreenShot008-575x284.png

Last edited:
(Silly me, there is an easier way ... )

Rather than change the opacity for all of the place markers, just uncheck the box next to the track label. The track will disappear but this is all right. Now, expand the track's list of place markers and scroll to the last one titled "End of Track". Check the box to display just this one entry. The track is now visible.

"That was easy!"

(Silly me, there is an easier way ... )

Rather than change the opacity for all of the place markers, just uncheck the box next to the track label. The track will disappear but this is all right. Now, expand the track's list of place markers and scroll to the last one titled "End of Track". Check the box to display just this one entry. The track is now visible.

"That was easy!"

It's that easy :) I was pretending to be a helicopter today cool to see profiled track on Google Earth.

Picture2-3.png

Last edited:
I just tried the "flying tour" of my track. Sadly, it highlights the problem with the track dropping out below about 500 ft.

Short of me adding a huge tower to my iGate, there is no way to fix that, I'm guessing.

At some point, I may experiment with Sam's belly antenna configuration.

"For now, I'd rather be flying" :)

ScreenShot001_thumb-575x298.jpg

Last edited:
Glen have you ever thought to inflate a balloon, attach an antenna to it and tie that slim Albert with a mile of RG400 to your hangar. :D

That would be one heck of a balloon!

(RG400 is 54lbs per 500ft so the balloon lift wound need to exceed 575 lbs and I'm sure the FAA would have a screaming fit to find a tethered ballon at 5,000 ft

... just saying :)

Vlad, do you have any pictures of your APRS tracker install? I'm wondering if my install may be suboptimal. You seem to get coverage down to about 125ft whereas I fall off the map by 250 and often higher even though we each seem to be gating thru a similarly configured digipeater.

Part II - removing tracks from GE

Need room on Google Earth :D Too many tracks imported now I want to declutter. It could be even simpler can somebody point to the right buttons?

Glen, I am not happy with my settings either will test new ones tomorrow.

You have several options in google earth for managing tracks. First, if you just "uncheck" the box next to a track, it hides but is still available. Alternately, you can right-click on a track and save it to a file and the right-click and delete it.

I store my tracks as individual files (named with tail number and date time). I don't keep them permanently in google earth.

Pretty soon I'll likely get one of the two Amateur Radio APRS HT's. It will be for flying in "other planes" where a permanent tracker is not an option.

Back