What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot tube upgrade

Good threat referenced - - I just did this. I installed the Garmin GAP-26 (w/o regulation) with Gretz mount. It was not too much trouble. Just be mindful of what your drill and installation order is to have the doubler overlap the spar flange and attach via an angle to the rib flange. The most tricky part was through drilling the rib/angle holes inside the inspection hole.

Gretz came with a doubler, but I had to make a new one due to the existing holes of the piper blade. If you have no holes, the gretz doubler should work fine. You will only need a short length of angle to attach to the rib. It appeared the joggle on the Gretz part was too shallow, so check that. A .063" joggle is required. Not hard to make one using the EAA method.

PM me if you have questions of the details. An angle drill was really handy for the rib holes, and they were riveted with Cherry Max. All others were drilled from outside, shot and bucked.

Last edited:
Back