What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Top cowling rear hinge

Jab

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all

The curved hinge on the rear of my top cowling has one of the rolled hinge eyes broken out and I want to replace the hinge. I have looked on Vans website but cannot find what I am looking for. I purchased this RV so I am not the builder and don't have the plans available so I would appreciate some assistance in how to find the correct part.

The cowling pin is curved to follow the line of the hinge, and its tapered, but if anyone has suggestions on how to improve the design of the pins, or a better way of inserting the pins I would appreciate the advice. Mine go in from the top of the cowling through a cutout but I have heard of others being installed through the oil filler door. All opinions are welcome.

Thank you, Gary

Switch to Skybolt fasteners

I made my cowl installation such that 2 pin sections were used and installed through the oil access door. I flew like that until I started breaking eyelets. At that point, I removed the hinge and replaced it with Skybolt fasteners. A much better solution in my opinion.

If you are committed to hinges, I would recommend going to an extruded, rather than formed hinge. It will be much less likely to break eyelets. In either case, as I recall, you will need hinge stock made for 1/8" diameter pins but use a 3/32" pin to make the tight bend radius.

Skybolt fasteners are the way to go:)

Good luck,

What I did.

Gary,
I built my -4, and have mine set up like yours with a small cutout at the top center of the cowl. I used an 0320H2AD engine, so my oil door is moved forward and not a good access to the hinge pins. The hinge segments have to be hand filed to taper inward which allows the cowl to fit without binding. I curved my pins to match the firewall profile. I lubricate them with a parafin wax stick every time I install them, and they go in very easy. I love the hinge pin set-up, as the cowl lines are very clean, but others hate them..its all a matter of how well they are set-up, and having no preload. I also have a screw with a nut plate at the aft corner of the upper and lower cowl where the side hinges mate to the cheek extensions, which keeps everything a bit tighter at the aft end and prevents that area from being pin supported only. 300 hrs, and no signs of wear, chaffing of hinge failure.

Bill and Dean

Thanks for your suggestions, I will take those into consideration.

Dean, where do I get the extruded hinges from and what size do I ask for? I plan to look at the Skybolt fasteners but its going to have to wait a few months until the funds and time are there.

Bill, is there any chance you could please PM me a photo of the screws on your cowling?

Thanks gentlemen,

Gary

Bill and Dean

Thanks for your suggestions, I will take those into consideration.

Dean, where do I get the extruded hinges from and what size do I ask for? I plan to look at the Skybolt fasteners but its going to have to wait a few months until the funds and time are there.

Bill, is there any chance you could please PM me a photo of the screws on your cowling?

Thanks gentlemen,

Gary

Hinges from here -

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/pianohinge.php

An explanation of the part numbers for extruded vs. rolled is at the bottom of the page.

Back