What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill out or Build on (leading edge ribs)

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
I went ahead an decided to use MSP cherry rivets from the start for my leading edge ribs to spar web. I had no interest in the purist approach using solid rivets when an easier solution is acceptable.

While developing my technique, the flange on the first two ribs didn't quite set perfectly against the spar across the whole length of the flange. I was applying a torque with the rivet puller that cause the flange to bend up slightly as I squeezed the handles. I'm debating whether to attempt to replace any of them to try and get a better seat on the flange. First two photos are the bad ones, the last photo is an example of a good one after I developed the right technique. What does the VAF braintrust think?

Bad
bad%20flange%201-L.jpg

Bad
bad%20flange%202-L.jpg

Good
Good%20flange-L.jpg

Last edited:
the mil spec for something like says that you shouldn't be able to hit the rivet shank with a .002" feeler gage slipped between the parts.

Having said that, it's not exactly easy to drill out cherrys because they have a steel center pin. If it was me, I'd call vans and see what they have to say before I started drilling out spar rivets if there was a chance I didn't have to.

Moto

Throughout my build I developed a motto that served me very well.

Do what’s right, not what’s easy. Many times I thought I knew better than Vans and considered an easier approach, most times I later realised that the guys at Vans are pretty smart.... just follow the plans.

Deviating from the plans has ripple effects. Having to try and drill out these kind of rivets and potentially damaging the spar is an undesirable ripple effect.

Call the factory.

Last edited:
I agree with call the factory. My concern is making it worse by drilling out the rivets and enlarging the holes. Hopefully they said it's ok to leave it.

Let us know what you wind up doing.

Sent the photos over to Vans. The agreed the result was less than ideal but as I suspected, they (Gary) suggested leaving things be as it wasn't likely to cause an issue in the future.

Back