What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 QB wing and empennage options

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Finished an RV-4 10 years ago, and I'm about to order an RV-10 kit (empennage and QB wing kits). A lot has changed in ten years! A few questions for those more up to speed on the latest kit options. Sorry for the "vagueness" of question 4.

(1) Will the "Landing Light" option on the order form accomodate other brands of landing light/strobe kits, or just the light Van's includes with the LL kit? Looks like there are several options now for landing lights and strobes in the wings, so trying to decide if I should order this option.

(2) Is there any reason to order the landing light option now, as opposed to waiting? In other words, do they do something different on the QB wing kit when they build it for you (i.e., wiring conduits)? If not, is running wiring through the wings doable with the QB wings?

(3) I like the idea of having electric aileron trim. Is it easy to add the electric trim servo to wings that are pretty much complete?

(4) Any other options or thoughts before ordering these two kits?

Thanks in advance!

- Rick

Hi folks,

Finished an RV-4 10 years ago, and I'm about to order an RV-10 kit (empennage and QB wing kits). A lot has changed in ten years! A few questions for those more up to speed on the latest kit options. Sorry for the "vagueness" of question 4.

(1) Will the "Landing Light" option on the order form accomodate other brands of landing light/strobe kits, or just the light Van's includes with the LL kit? Looks like there are several options now for landing lights and strobes in the wings, so trying to decide if I should order this option.

(2) Is there any reason to order the landing light option now, as opposed to waiting? In other words, do they do something different on the QB wing kit when they build it for you (i.e., wiring conduits)? If not, is running wiring through the wings doable with the QB wings?

(3) I like the idea of having electric aileron trim. Is it easy to add the electric trim servo to wings that are pretty much complete?

(4) Any other options or thoughts before ordering these two kits?

Thanks in advance!

- Rick

1. I purchased the RV-10/14 LL kit from Van's (P/N LL LENS KIT RV-10) and brackets from Duckworks. I installed Baja Design Squadron Pro lights in the Duckworks brackets - so a bit of a hybrid or Frankenstein approach. The Duckworks lenses are much smaller than the lenses that are in the Van's kit mentioned above, which is why I didn't use them.

3. I just completed installation of electric aileron trim on my nearly complete slow build wings. You want the aileron in neutral and the bellcranks and pushrod installed. The trim actuator is installed onto one of the access/inspection panels under the wing. So to answer your question - yes, in fact the wings need to be nearly completed to do this. There are a few steps (like checking for full range of motion and interference) that are completed once the wings are installed onto the airplane.

Drawing OP-38 is the source document for RV-10 and 14 electric aileron trim installation.

Bear in mind almost the entire bottom of the wing is open on the QB, so there's plenty of access. You can hold off on these decisions.
If I were doing it again, I'd plan on one of the LED lighting kits, and skip the Vans.

If I were doing it again, I'd plan on one of the LED lighting kits, and skip the Vans.

Like avionics, LED technology is improving rapidly. Buy the light mount kit and blank light holder from Duckworks, install it as you're building your wings, then pick your light(s) near the end of the process.

The empennage kit will take a lot more time to complete than the quickbuild wings. The quickbuild wings will go very fast. You may want to consider getting the fuselage kit prior to the qb wings.

A optional heated pitot tube and wiring should be completed prior to closing up the wings, or at least pull electrical conduit if that's the route you are going.

All these things can be easily completed after the wings are closed' less the Aileron trim servo
Autopilot servo
Tip nav and landing lights
leading edge landing lights
Fuel level sensors (can't remember if they are an option)
Archer NAV antenna
Marker Beacon antenna wire (is anyone installing these in new builds anymore)

Back