What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail cone top skin riveting

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
We're at the point in the plans that calls for riveting the aft top skin on the tail cone. Upon further reflection and research, I think we're going to defer until later for the ease of access when it comes time to run wire(s). (We did go ahead and install the static ports and lines.)

But while it's on my mind, I have a couple of questions:

What technique did you use? Back rivet with one of the monster bucking bars on the outside? Or the "traditional" route of rivet gun on the outside, bucking bar on the inside?

How did you protect the bottom of the tail cone, both inside and out, with someone on the inside?

Did anyone wait until the tail cone and fuse were joined?

Thanks.

Jeff

We're at the point in the plans that calls for riveting the aft top skin on the tail cone. Upon further reflection and research, I think we're going to defer until later for the ease of access when it comes time to run wire(s). (We did go ahead and install the static ports and lines.)

But while it's on my mind, I have a couple of questions:

What technique did you use? Back rivet with one of the monster bucking bars on the outside? Or the "traditional" route of rivet gun on the outside, bucking bar on the inside?f

I used a rivet gun and bucking bar. One person on the inside and one person on the outside.

How did you protect the bottom of the tail cone, both inside and out, with someone on the inside?

I built a stand to put the fuselage on, it also had a section that supported the tail at the correct angle. It allowed me to crawl in the tail without concern. It was also on casters so that I could roll it around.

Inside I just used some old pillows to fill in between the bulkheads.

Did anyone wait until the tail cone and fuse were joined?

Thanks.

Jeff

Not only after joined, but well after. That's the last piece to do before glassing the cabin cover in. Having the last skin off, makes wiring go much easier. You only have to reach over the longerons instead of having to crawl through the baggage compartment.

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Any chance you have a picture or two of the stand?

Here you go...........

FP16112010A000JA.jpg

The fuselage stand is just a 4x4 platform with cut outs for the gear mounts.

Jeff,

I just riveted my aft top skin Friday morning. I had another -10 builder give me a hand. I put the tailcone on the garage floor (swept well before hand), placed a blanket and an old dog bed inside, and crawled in! I back riveted the j-channel to the skin ahead of time, so we only had to shoot the bulkheads and longerons. Easy peasy - other than laying in the tailcone in my garage in July in SE Georgia:eek:

Jon,

Thanks for the info.

I'm impressed you're already to this step and just received your emp kit this year.

Now that you're passing me, I'll be checking on your blog to see what I need to be on the look out for. :D

Jeff

Back