Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Alright! Are you making me one also? Looks like you are having way to much fun Good Job!
haha thank for the compliments! I'm gonna need a few years off before I even think about more mold-less fiberglass work.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 AM

Ok I finally finished all the tips and here are the results. I strongly recommend to people to do the tips when the weather is warm (unless you have a heated shop) and don't wait until the plane is almost done. The tips take a lot of time, way more than a person thinks. If my plane was almost done and I had to drop this many hours to finish them I might have cried. haha However, if you aren't blending them in like I did it will take way less time.

First, I laid fiberglass anywhere it was needed (elevators).

20190612_155246 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After curing and sanding the elevator tips I laid down a 2" wide layer of fiberglass that is only 0.003" thick, very thin stuff indeed.

20190611_161559 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After curing and sanding the taped seam I then put a nice coat of micro on the whole thing.

20190612_155238 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After curing and sanding the micro I switched to Evercoat Rage Gold. This stuff is ready for sanding in about 20-30 minutes instead of a day as with micro. Some may scoff at using this stuff but I know many people that have used this and there planes have been flying with it for a long time. To be honest I don't even know why a few peeps have beef with this stuff? I personally would highly recommend it and it's meant for fiberglass too.

20190617_101139 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here sanding is almost finished. Looking pretty good.

20190617_180404 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next it was on to the VS and HS tips. First you need to close out the tips. There are many different ways to do this but I chose to use some flat layup I had out of 4 plies of 8.9 ounce. Shape it to fit, 5 min epoxy it in the correct spot and then I put a bead of flox on the inside with two more layers on top of that to really seal it up.

20190624_141921 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Nice I put a coat of micro on the area shown and epoxied in the metal backing strips. Van's doesn't tell you to put a metal strip there but after countersinking the fiberglass it is quite thin where the rivets go through.

20190624_212039 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After curing and sanding I put a layer of Rage Gold on. Almost all of this got sanded off in the end.

20190625_110728 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 06-29-2019, 10:19 AM

Here are all the parts being worked on. A full bench for sure.

20190625_164614 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally it was on to primer. I busted out the Kirker epoxy primer and sprayed any remaining parts. Here you can see one of HS tips. I still need to do a little detail sanding and fill a few tiny pinholes but they are all good to go.

20190627_230640 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally it is warm enough to start working on the canopy. I had my dad come over to help me move it around. All we did was put a centerline on the outside and mark for the hole to be drilled for the handle. Tomorrow I will start cutting the canopy.

20190628_184244 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 AM

May the force be with you Jereme!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 06-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
May the force be with you Jereme!
Kent glad to hear from you again man! I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I should text you and tell you to get your butt in the garage.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived

Last edited by jcarne : 06-29-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 PM

I spent quite a bit of productive time in the garage today. It was finally time to start cutting the canopy. I have dreaded this step as many other have before me. In the end it wasn't too bad. I still have plenty of cuts to make but this was a big one.

First I started off by cutting the molding flange of the bottom of the canopy. This was no big deal and seemed like kind of a waste of time other than to get used to the tools and process. Good practice.

20190629_131311 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190629_132241 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After sanding the edges up to 240 grit I drilled and sanded the hole for the canopy latch handle. I thought drilling a hole in the middle of my canopy would make me feel all frightened inside but this was the easiest part of today. I used a unibit and it went through it no problem at all.

20190629_155635 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next I clamped the canopy frame in the plexi bubble so that I could mark the cut line for the "big cut". After the line was drawn on the inside of the canopy I put lines of tape on the outside so that I could easily follow it with the saw.

20190629_161139 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally, it was time for the "big cut". It wasn't as stressful as I thought it was going to be and it didn't take as long either. The Dremel Saw Max with the SM500 blade goes through plexiglass like a hot knife through butter. Tip: spend as much time as it takes to make the canopy sit with as little stress as possible and install stops to prevent it from wanting to spread out.

What a beautiful sight; I mean not as good as it being completely finished but I'll take this victory!

20190629_170938 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After the cut I busted out my variable speed belt sander and cleaned it up with 120 grit followed by 240. This is smooth enough to start moving the pieces (so I've been told). Once I moved the pieces I spent some time on the windscreen wet sanding it with 400 grit and rounding the edges a bit since I won't be cutting this piece for a little while.

I also placed the canopy frame back in the large half and clamped it down. I made marks for my next cut. I will try and cut the aft bow section tomorrow and hopefully finish up all my cutting on Monday.

Took this next pic just for fun. It seemed like the best place to store the windscreen temporarily.

20190629_181617 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

P.S. can you tell I neglect my house duties from time to time based on the weeds growing? Haha I call it priorities and I don't think mine are mixed.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived

Last edited by jcarne : 06-29-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Kent glad to hear from you again man! I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I should text you and tell you to get your butt in the garage.
I just finished a marathon run of two films and part of a TV show and am happily unemployed as of yesterday. I have a short trip to get behind me then I am full steam ahead Jereme!

Great work brother!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 07-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
I just finished a marathon run of two films and part of a TV show and am happily unemployed as of yesterday. I have a short trip to get behind me then I am full steam ahead Jereme!

Great work brother!
Thanks Kent. Glad to hear things are good and the project will be underway again! I figured summers are probably your busy time.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 PM

The canopy work is going strong in this garage. After making another big cut on the aft end and a couple on the sides the canopy was almost ready to be glued on. I sanded the edge of the plexi all the way up to 600 grit which took me most of a day but you want it smooth! After the sanding was done I clamped it to the frame, took some measurements to make sure I didn't need anymore pre-bend, and masked off the canopy.

Here is the canopy ready for masking.

20190701_165520 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

All masked and ready to go. I used 3M fineline tape followed by electrical to the same edge and then painters where appropriate.

20190701_224826 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Soon it was time to start the Sika process. I first scuffed everything with maroon scotchbrite and some 150 grit here and there. I then used a damp microfiber cloth to wipe up any dust. Then the aktivator was applied (Sika 205). After waiting 10 minutes it was onto the primer (Sika 209D).

Here are the parts primed and ready to go.

20190702_120505 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190702_120510 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After 30 minutes from primer being applied I clamped the frame on with spacers and started running the Sika 295 UV beads. In the pic below you will notice I used hand clamps and not spring clamps on the forward and aft bows. If you use spring clamps the canopy gets distorted in areas which also locks stress in. I used these clamps with light pressure to try and avoid that as much as I could.

20190702_131834 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here it is after tape removal.

20190702_140704 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here you can see the first bead is held just off of the spacers so you can pull them out easy.

20190702_131840 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

This is the elusive side bow area. I say that because I had a HECK of a time trying to find out how people addressed this area. Some use the C-759 inside canopy skirt and some don't and opt for a big bead. I took the ladder route. To be honest at 160PSI for Sika it wouldn't surprise me if this method is stronger too. (although both are plenty strong)

20190702_131854 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Lastly, here is one of my first coat beads. I read a lot of people say that Sika is hard to get a nice bead with; I did not get the same feeling. It just seems about the same as your typical Alex caulk that you use for trim, relatively easy to spread nicely.

20190702_131848 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

This is all just a first coat and I have to do another "pretty" coat in a few days.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived

Last edited by jcarne : 07-02-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Canopy work continues. The main focus the past few days has been to get the canopy ready for layup of the fiberglass skirt. I think I may be able to start that tomorrow.

After putting a finish coat of Sika on it was time to put it on the plane and see how it all lines up. Overall I am very pleased with it. The only squawk is that the front is a little narrow by about 1/8" of an inch. No big deal, it still slides nicely, I may shave off a 1/16th from the rollers eventually but right now I'm happy. When I put the canopy on the plane I also put the windscreen on with the proper spacers so I could measure how much of the forward roller tubes needed trimmed. I needed to trim a 1/4" to get the canopy down enough to perfectly line up with the windscreen. After that I installed the roll bar bolts and the support. I also installed the track after positioning it such that the aft side of the canopy lines up nicely with the turtle deck.

20190707_135249 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here are some pics of how it conforms to the turtle deck skin, quite happy indeed.

20190706_152750 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190706_152756 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190706_152808 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also followed the directions on installing the C-677 pin mounts. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. (yes I know they still need countersunk) The aft lower bolts that hold the block in doesn't have much clearance to the pin so watch out for this when you install them.

20190707_164410 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Bonus: When the wife says watch the kid for a moment and there is no dust/chemicals flying in the garage it's time for a teachable moment.

20190706_145016 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived