- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Default Routing electric elevator trim wiring

Hello

I’m reassembling my RV8 after it was shipped to the UK. Unfortunately I didn’t built it and when it was dissembled they didn’t take pictures as promised.

I’m working on the empennage and I’m struggling to see how the wiring from the elevator trim was routed.

Does anyone have some images to share to show how it should be done?

The wire comes out of the side of the elevator:

Thanks!

Roger

2018 dues paid

Last edited by Westerhuis : 07-20-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Roger,

It's actually pretty simple. It sounds like you have one cable, should have 5 wires inside, two for power to the trim motor and three for the potentiometer feedback to your trim indicator. If they cut the cable at the elevator, you'll probably have to make up some kind of connector, like a 9-pin D-sub with male and female machined contacts. Or you can just use the contacts like a lot of us do; that is, just crimp the contacts on the ends of the wires, join them together and heat some shrink tubing over the unions to hold them together. You should be able to figure out which ones are the power leads and which ones the pot feedback by the colors or with a voltmeter before joining the wires together at the splice.

Looks like you were trying to attach a photo? You might have to remove the screws holding the trim motor to the elevator to find the end of the cable.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Builder & Avionics Installer)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 07-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hatch View Post
Roger,

It's actually pretty simple. It sounds like you have one cable, should have 5 wires inside, two for power to the trim motor and three for the potentiometer feedback to your trim indicator. If they cut the cable at the elevator, you'll probably have to make up some kind of connector, like a 9-pin D-sub with male and female machined contacts. Or you can just use the contacts like a lot of us do; that is, just crimp the contacts on the ends of the wires, join them together and heat some shrink tubing over the unions to hold them together. You should be able to figure out which ones are the power leads and which ones the pot feedback by the colors or with a voltmeter before joining the wires together at the splice.

Looks like you were trying to attach a photo? You might have to remove the screws holding the trim motor to the elevator to find the end of the cable.
Thanks Pat for your response. Unfortunately the photo didn't upload correctly. The d-subs are actually in place. My question is related to how to route the wiring from the elevator?

I assume the space under the vertical stabiliser between the horizontal stabalizer?

Would be good if someone could show an image.

Thanks!

Roger

2018 dues paid
Old 07-20-2019, 01:59 PM

Ok, usually the wire goes from the trim motor through the elevator spar and a slot cut in the curved leading edge, from there through a grommet in the horizontal stab rear spar and then through the inboard rib into the tail section of the fuse. Usually.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Builder & Avionics Installer)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me