What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switching to adjustable rudder pedals

I'm looking to purchase an 8A and would like adjustable rudder pedals due to a variety of sized people flying the plane, i.e. 6'4" me, 5'10" daughter. One that I am interested in has ground adjustable. Two questions: 1) How much of a hassle is it to adjust the "ground adjustable" kind? 2) Is it possible to change the rudder pedals to the "quick adjust" type on a completed aircraft? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I am 5? 10? and have the ground adjustable. I have them full forward, or as much forward as I can get them so they don?t hit the firewall.

To me, it just doesn?t seem like there is enough room to make a difference full forward or full aft.

Maybe for those who are 5? 6? or shorter.

That's funny you say that. I'm 5' 9" and I have the quick adjustable ones and I have mine all the way aft, towards the tail. Full forward I wouldnt be able to get full deflection on the rudder.

I think it would be easy to install them after the plane is completed. They bolt to the floor and firewall.

I did that change on a completed aircraft for the same reason.
I also had to switch from individual, cylinder-mounted reservoirs to a single reservoir on the firewall to avoid interference when full forward, full rudder.

Fortunately, the nut plates in the floor for the adjustable pedals were already installed as it was a quick-build kit. It would be a much bigger job if you didn't have them. Maybe rivnuts would work, but they wont lie flush.

It was about a full days work.

Oddly enough I have just got a set to change mine over. I?m still building, and my daughter has developed a passion for flying. She is a little shorter than me, hence the need to change the assembly!

On mine, I have them full forward. They'll hit the firewall if I'm full deflection and need to use the brakes, but I kind of figured if I'm at full rudder and NEED the brakes I'm already in way too deep.. maybe not the best solution, but I'm 6'5" and need the room. I have the 'tall pilot' option, but haven't drilled out the seat back rivets and moved the seat aft yet.

Thank you all for your input. I have bought the plane and will pick it up next Friday. I'll be looking to modify the pedals to the adjustable ones this fall. Thanks Again!

Back