What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Seats?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Radomir and I were talking this morning about which seat cushions to go with. This is what we found:
All numbers are based on two sets of un-upholstered seat foam for an RV-7/-9

Vans: $319
Oregon Aero: $640
Classic Aero: $1173 (That is for 2 seats w/ cloth upholstery. They didn't list just the cushions.)

Three questions:
1) Are there other vendors out there?
2) How much do you weigh?
3) What type of seat cushion do you use and would you recommend it?

Ok, that was four questions. Your body weight is import to comfort, so please include it. We are not so worried about the cloth vs. leather debate as neither of us have figured out what our interiors are going to look like.

Thanks!

Last edited:
There are other vendors (Becky Orndorf and DJ at Cleveland come to mind.) I've flown with their seats. I have the Oregon Aeros in my -6, and I'd sell my airplane if I were forced to give them up. IMHO they beat the others hands down, although I've never tried the Classic Aeros. Anything which comes in contact with the body (seats, headsets, seatbelts etc) is absolutely the wrong place to try to save money. You'll use the seats 100% of every flight and you really want them to be comfortable. FWIW I'm 6'3 and 225.

Abby at Flightline Interiors will upholster the Oregon Aeros for $385, which is around half what the factory charges for upholstery. I get the impression that they really don't want to be in the upholstery business.

I can answer for two of your choices...

I haven't tried the Oregon Aero. However, I've flown in a friend's Van's seats and my Classic Aeros. We both agree that the classic aeros are way better with a nice tempurfoam bottom and better contours on the sides.

I weigh 170, I'd guess he weighs 200.

sprucemoose said:
...Anything which comes in contact with the body (seats, headsets, seatbelts etc) is absolutely the wrong place to try to save money. You'll use the seats 100% of every flight and you really want them to be comfortable...
FWIW, we couldn't agree more; however, we were both taken back with the prices. We will spend whatever it takes to make sure we can sit in the plane from full tanks to "bingo" fuel levels.

I've said this in other places on this forum, but my old RV6 has Oregon Aero's in it. I cheaped out and bought the Van's seats for my new one. Waste of time, money and literal pain in my rear.

I haven't personally flown with the Classics, but all the other seats I've flown with Temperfoam be it Abby, DJ, Becki, etc.. all seem to be far superior.

Don't know what I'll use in the next RV, but I can tell you what they WON'T be!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein.

Oregon Aero & Head room

( Bill, hope I'm not taking this thread down a rabbit trail)

I have the Vans seats that my wife upholstered in my 7A and it's one of those if you don't know any better then they are great.... Recently, I've thought about upgrading to different seating and maybe even putting some fabric over the painted interior.

My question is about head room using the Oregon Aero seats. I'm 6-5, 220 lbs and I don't use the wedge of the Vans seats. I basicly sit in the trough and comfort is ok. Looking a the Oregon seats it appears that they are made as one unit (ie. compared to the Vans seats, the wedge is attached),

So Stein, maybe you (and others) can provide some reference between the head room available with the Oregon vs Vans.

Thanks
Doug

My original seats were from a custom car/airplane guy with tempurfoam. (He's no longer around) They were great, but after 12 1/2 years the cloth was beginning to show wear. Becky made my replacements (also with tempurfoam) and they are great also.
Mel...DAR

I have the Van's seat cushions upholstered by Central Aviation in Watertown, WI. They bolstered the cushions so the sides are slightly thicker and added the extra layer of foam, that comes with the cushions, on top. I used a Buick velour upholstery. I do not use the wedge cushion, although they did make it for me. Rather, I have a piece of 3/4" closed cell foam from ACS on the floor, under the seat, and my carpet runs under the seat, over the foam. The seat bottom sets on that, against the seat back. I'm 5'10", about 180 lbs, and have the seat all the way back.

This setup has been very comfy and I have flown as much a 8 hrs in one day feeling just fine. But then I don't have a boney a :D :D !!!

The cost of the upholstery job was $800.00 plus the cost of the cushions.

Roberta :)

7DeltaLima said:
My question is about head room using the Oregon Aero seats.
I'm 6'3, so I don't use any wedge. Oregon Aero does make a wedge (about 1 inch) which I have for shorter passengers, and it slides under the seat.

As to headroom- 6'5 is tall (I've flown with a 6'6 friend and I in my airplane and we both fit, although it was cozy!) but height isn't the only thing. Your body geometry (long legs vs. long torso) will dictate whether you will fit. You'll just have to find a 7 with Oregon Aeros and try sitting in it. FWIW I modified my -6 tip up canopy to be about 3/4 inch higher than standard, and I have about an inch of headroom with my headsets on. The 7 canopy is 1 inch higher than the 6, so they should be pretty close.

I'm riding around with Van's uncovered foam cushions. If you don't slide in and out just right-- they follow you.

I have Classic Aero's sitting on a shelf but won't put them in until I can have a Placard made--

trying to figure out how to word it.

Nomex Socks required-- Due to the eccentric nature of the builder-- no shoes allowed.

Oregon Aero

Bill and Radomir,

We have the Oregon Aero seats (locally covered with leather) in "PapaJuliette".

I would recommend these. 500+ hours and not a complaint yet (including "long" trips to FL, TX, IA, and of course WI (OSH).

Anytime you want to take a "sit down" in them you are most welcome. We will probably see each other at the next SERV gathering.

Becki and DJ make fine seats as well.

James

I've only tried Van's cushions, that I upholstered myself (last time I do that, it took for ever). They're not uncomfortable, I usually fly 2 or 2 1/2 hour legs and have flown 6 hrs in a day several times, and occasionally 8 hrs. I'm 6ft & 180lbs, but my back is long so in my RV-6 I don't use the wedge under the seat cushion, I also did not add the back wedge. However, I'm sure that it is possible to make more comfortable cushions - the front of the seat cushions is too thick, and the backs are a strange shape. Unless you are expert with a sewing machine get someone else to do the covers!

Pete

I'm 5' 9", 160. I have the Classic Aero seats in my 8A. Very well made, good looking and comfortable - even on very long flights. Classic Aero people are very good to work with and delivered pretty close to when they said they would. I highly recommend them.

John Miller

Bite The Bullet Bill!

I have Classic Aero leather seats and couldn?t be happier?very nice workmanship and very comfortable.
Just do it Bill. You have to have nice seats, good head sets and a good looking instrument panel. It?s kind of like buying a $2000.00 rifle and putting a $100.00 scope on it..you just don?t go there.

Roger

Oregon Aero & Headroom

I'm 6'5" and had the same query regarding headroom with the Oregon Aero seats for my 8A.

I contacted Oregon Aero who advised me to sit in the aircraft and measure the compressed seat thickness that I wanted for adequate headroom,and they would make the seat to suit - no problems.

John Moody

DJ's Seats...

1) Yes- already mentioned
2) 165 lbs
3) I have DJ Lauritsen's seats from Cleveland (which is in Iowa...). Extremely happy with the design, construction, customer service - and most of all, the comfort! Of course, she's using Comforfoam (or equivalent).

Paul

Ironflight said:
1) Yes- already mentioned
2) 165 lbs
3) I have DJ Lauritsen's seats from Cleveland (which is in Iowa...). Extremely happy with the design, construction, customer service - and most of all, the comfort! Of course, she's using Comforfoam (or equivalent).

Paul

Ditto in my RV-7. I've flow 6 to 7 hours in a day and never give a thought to the seats. 160 Ilbs.

Back