- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidocs View Post
Hi Todd,

Just curious, what don't you like about the Cirrus?

To your original question---I wore a parachute during a significant portion of my phase 1 and thought it was a bit uncomfortable. A -10 is probably easier to bail out of, too.

The cracking finish on a 10 year old plane that was hangared all it's life, the "dead" feel in the side stick, the doors that did not shut consistently, the worthless TKS system, the poorly designed electrical system, the ineffective A/C system, the 162 knot cruise, the $15k rebuild of the BRS, the ridiculous price to maintain a warranty on the Avidyne displays, parts prices that make Beechcraft seem cheap, the rock hard seats, and the horrible wheel pants. Other than that, it was a great plane.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarkert View Post
I live in the Denver area. Anytime I head west I am often over mountainous terrain with NO place to land! I always wear a parachute in that situation. My wife wears one too and is on a static line attached to the seat belt anchors. I've cut my canopy rails so I confident I can get the canopy off my RV-8. If the motor quits the insurance company owns it!
Bob, Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "I've cut my canopy rails"??
Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 PM

I assume he means that he has notched the upper tracks of the rails out so when the canopy slides back it can also come up. Good idea if you want to exit the plane in flight.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Seems like a lot of questions have been raised here, but to your original question about the comfort of a parachute, I can say that I wear mine all the time including when I fly my plane to Oshkosh. I fly a Christen Eagle and wear a chute since my main mission is aerobatics. I can't speak to other brands, but I wear a National 360 and have no comfort issues. It is a backpack, and since I always wear it, maybe it is just that I am used to it, but to me it is just normal.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:08 PM

I think it's a great idea and I've done it many, many times. Wore my chute all the way from San Diego to Oshkosh and back in my RV-3. The peace of mind that comes from wearing a parachute is irreplaceable.

As for comfort, if the right chute and fitted properly it shouldn't be uncomfortable at all. I'm a parachute rigger and have lots of customers that are glider pilots and wear their parachutes for many hours on a given flight. They never complain about comfort. Again, the right chute and the right fit.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:34 AM

I'll throw something out there that may be worth thinking about.
The money spent on a new chute may be better allocated to finding an instructor who is good with new/nervous pilots and get them to spend some air time in your future RV-14 with your wife.
The RV's have some of the most benign handling out of any aircraft I have ever flown. Just looking at how long it takes any person who has never flown before to pick up basic handling of the RV, if I was to place a bet on their survivability in a case of my impairment, I would think they were much more likely to survive if they attempted a landing at an airfield and severely botched it rather than trying to jump out of an aeroplane for the first time. After getting rid of the canopy and facing 200 mph winds, climbing out of the now out of control aircraft and not getting creamed by the tail, they still need remember to pull their parachute, then land in potentially hostile territory and find their way to civilization (forest, water, frozen tundra etc etc.).
Besides, you may only be unconscious and not fully cactus, so they may not even want to leave you to your sure demise.
If I was in your seat, I would do as an earlier poster has suggested and get a big blue "level" button (to buy them time and get calm first), teach them how to press the "nearest" button on the GPS and get some hands on training by a suitable instructor if you don't think you are up to the task.
On top of all this, I would write a check list/instructions for them that they they can stick on the right side of the panel and read every flight. Keep it basic and to the point. We've seen numerous times that RV's landed badly (and even flipped on their roof) can be walked away from, so so even if the landing is botched, you've both still got a winning chance.
Good luck.
Tom
RV-7
Old 05-08-2019, 06:17 AM

Tom,

Those are good points. I have given her instruction in everything from a C-182 to the Glasair, and she quits flying the plane once a little turbulence is hit. Thinking it is me, I had her fly with other instructors as well. Same problem.

I agree with you that it would be best to have her fly the plane to a landing. I guess the worst case scenario is that I buy another plane and if she just won't come around she can ride on the airlines.

Last edited by Toddsanderson : 05-08-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:31 AM

If you can get her a ride in an RV-10 and then in an RV-14, then she might be able to tell you what airplane she'd like to fly in. Leave it open-ended so that she's not needing to choose between just those two. But don't be too surprised if it's the jet.

Dave
Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
If you can get her a ride in an RV-10 and then in an RV-14, then she might be able to tell you what airplane she'd like to fly in. Leave it open-ended so that she's not needing to choose between just those two. But don't be too surprised if it's the jet.

Dave
Yep. I agree. They only reason she likes riding in the Citation is the fact that two pilots are flying it. She feels like I do about the wastefulness of burning 900 gallons of fuel to go back and fourth. The airlines scare her as much as flying with one pilot in a slower plane, but the duration is shorter, so that helps.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Sounds like she's developed a full-fledged fear of flying, and if that's the case then there is nothing you can do short of a psychiatrist to fix it.