Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 AM

I've flown the 3, 4, 6, and a lot of my 8 and the 3 is my favorite for everything but distance. I've said for years if I ever sold my 8, I would replace it with a 3 and a family truckster cross country plane. For the typical flying most do, the 3 is just awesome. I climb into my 8, but pull a 3 on like a wetsuit. The 4 feels much the same as the 3, but there is something about a single seater. My 8 rolls like a truck compared to either of them. If there are several 3's available, I suspect one or two are less than stellar builds and therefore difficult sells. The 3 is not a simple build and there is far less support available than we prepunched wienies get. It's difficult to build one that compares to the later kits unless the builder is a repeat offender. Either way I suspect the plethora of available 3's won't last.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 AM

I followed the hype when Vans reintroduced the 3 as the 3B. I watched a couple 3B’s sell for well over $50k. At that time, folks couldn’t get enough of the 3. As Vans oldest model and fewest built, prior to the reintroduction, they would come up for sale often, usually for $20k or under. They where never “quick” sellers. The hype around the 3B changed that, perhaps only for a while?
The reality is the 3’s performance and feel is only marginally “better” than a well sorted 4,6, 7, or 8. It’s limitations are obvious yet it costs just as much to keep as Paul noted.
Everyone who has had a chance enjoys flying the 3, but not everyone will want to own one.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
I followed the hype when Vans reintroduced the 3 as the 3B. I watched a couple 3B’s sell for well over $50k. At that time, folks couldn’t get enough of the 3. As Vans oldest model and fewest built, prior to the reintroduction, they would come up for sale often, usually for $20k or under. They where never “quick” sellers. The hype around the 3B changed that, perhaps only for a while?
I like this explanation.

When I sold my 3 about 10 years ago it took several months to sell. When my buddy was looking for a 3 about three or four years ago they were flying off the shelf.

Also, I think Randy Lervold's RV3 build created a lot of excitement for the 3 and that has diminished now.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 AM

As someone most of you would consider to be in "the younger crowd" at 34, it's seating capacity. A single-seat airplane is basically nothing but a toy for yourself, and it's hard to spend money at private airplane levels on a toy for yourself alone.

At least with a two-seater you can rationalize it to yourself (and your spouse ) by saying that you can travel with it, take people for rides, and have better resale value.

I'd love a chance to fly a -3 and it might be cool to get a few people together and buy an older one as a group for a second or third airplane, but I could never justify the expense for one myself.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Direct to the specific question of 'why *so many* for sale now': Most likely is simple market analysis. The economy is stronger, there's more disposable income (well, among those of us lucky enough to have disposable income to start with), so asking prices are going up, inducing -3 owners who aren't using the planes but weren't financially forced to sell, to put them on the market. I wonder if you compared the 'for sale' numbers of other models (and brands), you wouldn't see the same thing. Could it be that going from zero or one to three or four is just more obvious than going from five to fifteen, when scrolling through listings?

Charlie
Old 05-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Default rmartinc makes my point !

Old guys have money they don't need and the wife has been long ago programmed to accept our affliction. A friend quoted once " he has never seen a Brinks Truck in a funeral procession". wait your turn, toys are good !
Clinton, IN
Old 05-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Default rmartinc makes my point !

Old guys have money they don't need and the wife has been long ago programmed to accept our affliction. A friend quoted once " he has never seen a Brinks Truck in a funeral procession". wait your turn, toys are good !
Clinton, IN
Old 05-19-2019, 03:26 PM

I suppose I'm qualified to chime in on this since I currently own my 2nd RV-3 and my 3rd single seat airplane. :-) In reading my post after the fact, I now realize that I'm not really answering the OP's question re: why there are so many on the market right now. If that's why you're following this thread, I'll save you the time and tell you not to bother reading this post.

The RV-3 is practical for solo travel and solo fun. Beyond that, it's an extravagance that most will have a tough time justifying. As others have said, if you buy a 2+ place airplane at least you can pretend that you're going to be sharing the experience with an additional person.

This being said, the RV3 is also an opportunity to own the best sport plane on the planet at a 50-70% discount for a bunch of people who THINK they'll use a multi-place plane, but really don't. Case in point...

I recently purchased a Citabria to supplement my RV-3 ownership. The plan was that I'd do Young Eagles rides and give rides to friends and family. I've put about 35 hours on it since I purchased it on February 25th (this, in addition to about 35 hours on the RV-3 in the same time period). The reality is that about 5 of the 35 hours of Citabria time have been with a passenger and the rest were solo.

Guess which airplane I'm going to sell as soon as I have time to take pictures and polish it up for sale? The CITABRIA! It's boring to fly the Citabria by myself and I've come to the conclusion that my schedule just isn't predictable enough to make plans to give rides. "Hey, my schedule freed up for this afternoon. I'm headed to the airport for a lunch run. Wanna come?" That's about how much planning goes into my recreational flying. It doesn't work for most other people.

Once you've flown/owned an RV-3, it's hard to get excited about other planes. I'm planning to build an F1 Rocket and I suppose that's about the only plane that MIGHT be able to replace my RV-3 when the time comes. But I'm still not making any promises. :-) The other factor is that it's a great 2nd airplane purely because you don't have many dollars (relatively speaking) tied up and sitting in the hangar. I may never sell mine!

EDITED TO ADD:

... and to Larry's point: I guess, I'm starting to dip my toe into the "old guy" realm at 50 years of age. I feel like I'm reaching the "old guy" finances situation a little ahead of schedule because I've always been single. No wives or ex-wives and no children's college/cars/clothes, etc. to pay for. Kinda like starting off on 3rd base!
RV-3 N87CT (Thanks Chuck!)
RV-3 N99RV sold 01/2000
F1 MkIII empennage—arrived 08/22/2018--collecting dust

Last edited by RWoodard : 05-19-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:49 PM

Rod,
You obviously need a -4. Whenever I do YE sessions, the kids look right past all the really nice 182s, etc, and even past the beautiful -6As & ,-9As, and salivate over a ride in my somewhat ragged 25+ year old -4. I know -4s aren't -3s, but they are pretty close. :-)
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Default My experience too

When I did young eagle flights with my -4 and it seemed to be the one the kids
zeroed in on. The - 3b is a sweet little airplane though.!
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.